OP
OP
Josm315

Josm315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reserved for image dump of older photos.

Whoops. Learned something new today. No edits for this forum.

MID SEPTEMBER:

With main lights on. A little too blue for pictures...
spacer.gif
MUEo7Sih.jpg

Using only supplemental lighting.
spacer.gif
1nomez6h.jpg

Ricordea Florida, Birds Nest, Tri-Color Acro. Colors don't really pop without main lights. The Acro has started to encrust the plug and I've seen ~1/2" growth on the Birds nest.
spacer.gif
TXDKkdjh.jpg

Evil/Pink Princess Favia. Looks like there's another head starting to form on the right and the top where it's encrusting the 2nd plug.
spacer.gif
M4Rz1pbh.jpg

Toxic green palythoas, fire and ice zoas, eagle eye zoas, and plain green zoas. The green zoas weren't opened for this picture.
spacer.gif
yyrK45Bh.jpg

The ricordea florida folds up like this when supplemental lighting for the sps is on.
spacer.gif
XqLWuE3h.jpg

Green star polyps starting to take over this side of the rock. May have to trim if they get much closer to my birds nest.
spacer.gif
FeSkSWRh.jpg

Toadstool has its polyps retracted. My sexy shrimp and blue-legged hermit love climbing all over it...
spacer.gif
KDtHsd1h.jpg

OP
OP
Josm315

Josm315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OCT 29 2013

Original images were taken mid September, so it's been ~1.5 months. Let's see some progress...

Full tank shot. No drastic changes. Less blue in the picture.
HKKvufch.jpg

A SPS comparison shot. Looks like ~1/8th of an inch of growth on the birds nest. The acro has definitely shown more growth on the plug. The plug fell off the rock a week ago, so it's not glued exactly the same orientation.
a25fLrWh.jpg

Zoa/Paly oasis. New King Midas/Bam-bams.
JLFU6gTh.jpg

New acans. No name for coloration as far as I know. The 12000K doesn't bring as much of the colors out as I'd like. They're much more vibrant under moonlights. One of the original colonies shown below.
gSFulgWh.jpg

lC3o12X.jpg

Unfortunately, the day these were out with FedEx it dipped down to ~36F. It looks like this frag won't make it. The two main heads have lost most of their flesh. They have already promised me something nice to compensate for it come a frag swap in December. =)
7exBvyph.jpg

Ricordea are definitely my favorite coral so far to watch eat. Here is my ricordea yuma reaching it's mouth toward a mysis. Ever since I moved it up from the sandbed, it's developed some of the original orange that it had when I won it from a drawing.
GFjHCzPh.jpg

u5UgX9ph.jpg

Shot of my new light. Ecoxotic Par38 12,000K bulb. I took one of my old reptile lamps, removed the bowl, and improvised with hanging it on some shelving the previous tenants left lying around.
VpITqBYh.jpg

As requested, here is a picture of the equipment in the back of the "tank".
9rjKYrWh.jpg

Here's a sneak peek of my upcoming build post:
3ozwMsLh.jpg

That's it for now, I might try and get another update before I move a lot of stuff over to the 20g nano.

OP
OP
Josm315

Josm315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Here's an update.

After some great advice, I went ahead and moved all my sps over to the 20g, freeing me to be able to do a large overhaul on the pico.

Redid the rockwork. When I first put the pico together breaking the rock up didn't even occur to me. Now that I know better, things look much cleaner. Went ahead and got rid of the rest of the GSP that I didn't use for the 20g.

All that's left in the pico from the old stock of coral is the ricordea florida and yuma, the toadstool, some toxic green palys, and an itty bitty frag of birdsnest.

Full "Tank" Shot
spacer.gif
Z2NwoYR.jpg

Two ricordea on the sand bed for now. You would not believe how much slime everything put off. Even after a 180% water change it's still a bit cloudy with it.
spacer.gif
KCpttYt.jpg

Itty bitty frag of birdsnest I accidentally broke off weeks ago. Up until now it was showing the same amount of polyp extension as the main frag. Next to my thermometer probe for reference.
spacer.gif
w4rtjmD.jpg

Once everything clears up I'll put the rest of the ricordea from the 20g in and do another small update.

OP
OP
Josm315

Josm315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Year Anniversary!

Tank started the end of May last year, here's to 1 year with no crash!

Bor6Yc4CAAALG7h.jpg:large

Bor6d3_CEAA9Rxi.jpg:large

Bor6ikTCIAAUSmb.jpg

Apologies for the picture quality, taken with iphone4 and dirty glass. (hard to clean because it's uneven)

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,great work!You have done a really good job of concealing the equipment.I wish I had more time to maintain some tiny tanks.

Novillac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tank! I've wanted to do a small tank out of an old cookie jar but never could figure out how to keep it clean with enough ease of execution...

OP
OP
Josm315

Josm315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,great work!You have done a really good job of concealing the equipment.I wish I had more time to maintain some tiny tanks.

Thanks! Maintaining this one isn't so bad. I top off maybe once a week. I used to do 50% water changes 2-3 times a week, but now it's dropped to 50% once every 2-3 weeks and I think I'll start doing a 90% saltwater rinse followed by 90% water change twice a year. Stirred up lot of detritus from behind the rocks last time I did a change.

I love this tank! I've wanted to do a small tank out of an old cookie jar but never could figure out how to keep it clean with enough ease of execution...

Thank you! Cleaning the glass honestly isn't too bad. When my "scape" took up most of the jar, I took two epoxy covered disk magnets, glued velcro to one and used it to clean my glass. Now that I can fit my hand in, I just scrub it while I'm halfway through draining water for a WC.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool and amazing that you sustained the health of this little reef!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so neat!! Thanks for sharing!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back