Gilly's 8.7 Reef!

Gilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up my first reef aquarium. I will update my progress here. I have done a lot of research but feel free to give me any suggestions.

Current Full Tank Shot:

Overview:

• 8.7 gallon Aquatop aquarium
  • Aquaclear 50 HOB filter used as refugium
  • 9W 50/50 refugium light
  • 100w heater
  • 20lbs of live sand
To do:
  • DIY dimmable led lighting
  • 10-12lbs live rock (I will pick up on Mon 7/28)
  • Clean up crew
Livestock (planned):
  • Clownfish pair
  • Yasha goby/pistol shrimp
  • Bubble tip anemone
  • Maxima clam (?)
  • Zoas
  • SPS
  • LPS
I sprayed the back of the tank with 4 coats of black plastidip because it is easily removable if I decide I don't like it:

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! Looks like you are off to a good start. What type of rock are you getting? Any power heads or extra flow other than the HOB filter?

OP
OP
Gilly

Gilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! Looks like you are off to a good start. What type of rock are you getting? Any power heads or extra flow other than the HOB filter?

Thanks. My LFS sells Fuji and Indonesian LR so I will pick up a few pieces of that. The filter is rated at 200gph (it's also adjustable) which I think is enough but I may add a small powerhead and turn the flow rate on the filter down. I will have to see if there are any dead spots once I put the LR in.

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-12 pounds of LR is going to fill that tank up. I have a feeling you are not going to want that much. What are your plans for the LEDs? Going to replace the 50/50 light or combo?

OP
OP
Gilly

Gilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-12 pounds of LR is going to fill that tank up. I have a feeling you are not going to want that much. What are your plans for the LEDs? Going to replace the 50/50 light or combo?

I May not end up getting that much LR. To be honest, I don't know how much space that much will take up so I will have to determine that when I am at the store. The 50/50 is just a light I had laying around and I will use is for the refugium. For the LED's I will probably use 2 dimmable drivers with 6 royal blue crees, 3 white crees and a mix of other colors like UV, turquoise, and red. I'm not sure how much light is too much. Thoughts?

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 three watt crees with some optics would be plenty. Maybe a 1w red or two but I would leave anything else out. Best part about dimmable drivers is that they are dimmable! So go with a more light than you think and you can always adjust when needed.

OP
OP
Gilly

Gilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 three watt crees with some optics would be plenty. Maybe a 1w red or two but I would leave anything else out. Best part about dimmable drivers is that they are dimmable! So go with a more light than you think and you can always adjust when needed.

Very true. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
Gilly

Gilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed some of the sand today and I added live rock.

One rock had some really amazing blue, green and purple coraline algae on it. I have never seen coraline in these colors before.

I also found a couple of hitchhiker crabs. Does anyone know if they are pests?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back