LED lighting in a 65 gallon REEF

caseytatum44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, first post but I've been lurking here for some time. Great community!

I'm sure questions like this get frequently but I seem to be getting mixed answers, I have a 65 gallon which is 36"L x 20"W x 21"H and am looking to start off with some beginner coral/fish. I want a LED light but I seem to be on the border of needing 1 or 2 units (or one larger unit). My question is, if my liverock/coral will be setup in the center of the tank, will one unit sufficiently grow my coral? I understand there may not be coverage ample coverage on the sides but is that a concern if there will be no coral or rock there? Thanks!

I'm looking at a DM-155E from
http://reefradiance.com/dm-155e.html

165 watts
size: 15.75 x 8.25 x2.75
55 LED's

Beradd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Casey, I am running the 155e over a 40Breeder ...which is also 36 inch tank. I have the lights sitting a foot and a half off the water and am getting decent coverage. the ends of the tank are a bit darker. But to answer your question, yes one 155e with your LR in the center will do you just fine. and the gradients on the ends can be used for lessor light loving animals. two 155e's over this size tank would probably be amazing and powerful.Personally I am content with the one 155e over my 40 B I may in the future supplement with a pair of t5's to balance out the light distribution and bump the blue up a bit..hope my 2cents helps some. I have had these lights over my tank for a bit over a week, converting from 4 bulb T5 and I <3 them.

Beradd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140207_210958.jpg
Pic of my 40 b n 155e coverage

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

caseytatum44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! I may just go with one for now and upgrade to two in the future if needed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back