Adding Carbon?

Seagars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i do carbon with using a reactor? and if so where do i place it?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can use carbon in a reactor. I am not understanding the question though.....where do you put the carbon or where do you put the reactor?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to use the reactor just throw the carbon in there.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've switched over to running my carbon passively - I throw it in a nylon sock and just place it in the sump in an area with decent flow. In mine it happens to be between the skimmer and the side wall. When running passively it seems to work best if you use a little less and replace it more often. I like the knee-high nylons since it makes it quick and easy ..... no cleaning media bags, just throw out the old and rinse and toss in the new!

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB filter with carbon preinstalled in the filters. but I don't have a sump either so... whatever works i guess.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly advised? To use Carbon? No, I havent' used carbon in years. Some do, some don't.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to take out impurities in the water, like heavy metals and nutrients, chlorine, silicates.....
You can place it anywhere with flow (hob filter, canister filter, sump...)

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll usually see the difference in a day or 2 if your not using it now. Water will be crystal clear

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to take out impurities in the water, like heavy metals and nutrients, chlorine, silicates.....
You can place it anywhere with flow (hob filter, canister filter, sump...)
And if your using RO/DI water?

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if your using RO/DI water?

I agree.....the only time that carbon needs to be used is if you have a lot of soft leather corals in a mixed reef tank. Otherwise, you should be using RO/DI water which is already pure.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reasons given for not using carbon or not using it continuously include: the carbon causes some diseases, it removes beneficial elements/substances for the water, and eventually the carbon will de-adsorb everything killing the tank inhabitants. None of these reasons have ever been supported by experiments or tests. Rather, they are myths. And as myths, they circulate through the hobby growing a life of their own which becomes hard to kill.

The reason to use carbon is that it removes dissolved organic compound from the water. This has been shown experimentally. Removing the dissolved organics will increase the effectiveness of the biological filter. Again published studies have demonstrated this. Plus, removing the dissolved organics will make the water look cleaner because it will be clearer.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reasons given for not using carbon or not using it continuously include: the carbon causes some diseases, it removes beneficial elements/substances for the water, and eventually the carbon will de-adsorb everything killing the tank inhabitants. None of these reasons have ever been supported by experiments or tests. Rather, they are myths. And as myths, they circulate through the hobby growing a life of their own which becomes hard to kill.

The reason to use carbon is that it removes dissolved organic compound from the water. This has been shown experimentally. Removing the dissolved organics will increase the effectiveness of the biological filter. Again published studies have demonstrated this. Plus, removing the dissolved organics will make the water look cleaner because it will be clearer.

I agree with most of your comment....I said the only time you "need" to run Carbon is when you have a lot of soft corals. There are many successful reef tanks that do not run carbon. One thing you did leave out (which isn't a myth) is that some of the cheaper carbons will leach phosphates into the water.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an old salt and I do not believe that there are any reasons that carbon should not be used. I just watched a video from BRS yesterday where they showed by syphoning aquarium water into a white 5g bucket you can see a yellowish tinge in the water from dissolved organic compounds when carbon is not used enough. The water will look pristine in the tank because of the blue in the lights but it may indeed be pretty gunked up. High quality carbon can only benefit a tank.

OP
OP
S

Seagars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking go getting the BRS carbon to clear up my tank water. Thanks for all the input.

Back