Sump Build - Need Advice!!

Skamman23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a sump for my 72g Tank. Display tank will have fish, Live Rock and soft corals, mostly zoas. Using a 20g tank for my sump. Sump dimensions are 30l x 13w x 12h. Would like to incorporate a refugium area. Looking for advice on the placement of baffles, height of baffles, size recommendations for each of the chambers, etc. Thinking of a first chamber with Filter Sock and Live Rock where water flows in, second chamber for my return pump, and third chamber as my refugium, with a small pump bringing water into the fuge from the first chamber, and the fuge's slow overflow into the return chamber. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! If any of you have a sump setup like this I would love to see pics! Thanks so much, Tim

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sumpdesign2.jpg

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/

Last edited:

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the way you plan on setting your sump up Skamman23 for a few reasons.

1) Water flow over the refugium area. This area, usually low flow is better as it gives time for the macro algae and LR to do work.

Are you planning to run a skimmer? If so that will determine the first set of baffles as the tank drains into the tank. Also, consider filter floss/drip tray instead of a sock. Floss gets tossed and no cleaning, cheap enough to save the water, bleach, etc. I have socks and stopped because the clogged too quick and washing became a pain.

Considering teeing off the drain to feed the refugium area. This will save some power and less heat added to your system. Plus, its gravity at work.

Also, remember not to make the baffles too high or rather running water volume because if the pumps turn off then that sump will fill up quick unless your plan to run a check valve on the return. Keep in mind that the water from the overflow will drain into the sump as well.

OP
OP
S

Skamman23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Madness and Eric! Great link to Melevsreef that gave me great ideas. Eric, thanks for the great tips. Not familiar with the filter floss/drip tray setup you mentioned. Can you elaborate? I agree that the socks do clog fast and I was planning on buying a bunch of them, but I'm interested in what you have to say about that other option. Thanks

Back