New to the hobby - 90 gallon FOWLR

Dbarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have recently made the move from a life long hobby of freshwater into the salt world and am soaking it all in, tons of new things to know and learn! My plan as it stands is to start with fish only and eventually migrate to reef as the tank becomes more established. Where I am right now is the cycle is done and I've got 2 clowns moved in (they've been in for 4 days) and seem to be doing really well. Colours look great, they leave no shrimp afloat during feeding and my water tests for salinity and ammonia are both in great shape. So my questions right now are these;

1. At what point should I look to add more fish?
2. What are some good reef friendly fish I should be looking at? Learning the running of a marine tank hasn't been an issue but leaning all new fish and who plays well with who has be a bit boggled!

Thanks!

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardy fish off the top of my head are gobies, clowns, some wrasses, clowns, stay away from damsels they're pretty mean and smart once they're in your tank very difficult to take them out. Basically you'll have some kinda of algae grow eventually, identify the algae and find out what kind of fish eats it. Probably the easiest way to look at it.

OP
OP
D

Dbarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140820_164858[1].jpg
Here's the tank so far, a bit of a baron desert at this stage but Im well aware that patience is the key to success.

OP
OP
D

Dbarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, got the clowns in there first and everything seems to be going well with them so would you say a clean up crew is the next logical step?

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off until you see some algae grow that way they have something to eat and won't get used to whatever you're feeding the fish rather then the algae they're supposed to clean. If clowns are fine in about 3 more days or so I'd consider getting Chromis (blue/ green)

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the saltwater hobby! There are so many cool fish out there. I'll give you some of my favorites and these tend to be "community" type of fish and play nice with others for the most part: midas blenny, flame hawkfish, various wrasses (although without sand I'm not sure these would be a good fit), dwarf angels (flame and coral beauties are generally reef safe with caution meaning that they have been known to nip at corals), and blennies (check out the starry blenny - very cool little fish). You could possibly keep a kole tang or white tailed tang - I'm blanking on the name - hope that gets you started in your research :) I would probably only add one fish about every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks so that the bio filter has time to catch up. Most people quarantine new fish so that any issues of disease can be dealt with outside of the main tank - you can find write-ups on quarantining on this site. Tangs do tend to be prone to getting saltwater ich so use caution if you opt to look at tangs.

HTH!

OP
OP
D

Dbarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that list! My lfs actually quarantines before sale so I'm covered on that front.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back