Essential water test kit

rollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am slowly getting all my equipment lined up for the start of my first tank. I have a good RO/DI system already with a hand held TDS meter, however, I know there are many other things to test for. I wondering if anyone can recommend a good, easy to use, and accurate water test kit for the beginner. What has worked well for you? What should I stay away from?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a fowlr API are usually alright. Most people are happy using Red Sea, salifert or hanna checkers which can cost a lot more, but it's worth spending the extra money for the consistency and accuracy :)

duromega

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for ammonia and nitrite while you cycling your tank
API is fine

For alkalinity Red Sea or Salifert
nitrate : salifert
Phosphate Hanna PO4 checker
pH : use a digital pH probe

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some comparison videos on the brs Website that are nice

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for ammonia and nitrite while you cycling your tank
API is fine

For alkalinity Red Sea or Salifert
nitrate : salifert
Phosphate Hanna PO4 checker
pH : use a digital pH probe

+1 ^^^ get good kits to start with or it will cost you in the long run.
If you're doing a reef calcium and magnesium (salifert)are a good idea as well

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the tips and advice. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Love that people are willing to help out us beginners. THANKS AGAIN!

Just remember DONT RUSH.... this hobby is all about patience... your tank needs to mature for a while, your parameters will fluctuate a lot during the process.

OP
OP
R

rollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. Thanks. That won't be a pitfall for me. I am taking my sweet time just getting my equipment lined up. There is a lot of information out here for the beginning reef aquarium hobbyist to sort through. With the help of various people here, so far I have been able to find out what works and what doesn't, or to make the best possible decision to achieve something. Seems there are several paths to most things in reefing. I plan on starting out with a 60 gal tank, with a few hardy corals and a small amount of fish, just to learn water management and get my hands dirty. I will see where it takes me and from there, who knows? I can say though, that the reefing bug has bit me!

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. Thanks. That won't be a pitfall for me. I am taking my sweet time just getting my equipment lined up. There is a lot of information out here for the beginning reef aquarium hobbyist to sort through. With the help of various people here, so far I have been able to find out what works and what doesn't, or to make the best possible decision to achieve something. Seems there are several paths to most things in reefing. I plan on starting out with a 60 gal tank, with a few hardy corals and a small amount of fish, just to learn water management and get my hands dirty. I will see where it takes me and from there, who knows? I can say though, that the reefing bug has bit me!

I learnt the hard way... been in the hobby for about 18mths now... switched from canister filter to a sump... HUGE difference in water chemistry... now Im waiting for my miracle mud to arrive shouldve done it when I got the sump, as I dont have a great skimmer, its only a coralife...no $$$ for expensive stuff... mine is a simple 65g setup, only running T5's 4bulb fixture running ATI bulbs...nothing fancy.... but I like my parameters now... post your build and progress thats the best way to get peeps here to help you out.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uh oh, you've been bit - this can be very dangerous to your wallet :) it sounds like you have a great mindset for this hobby and using for the forums for great advice is really smart

OP
OP
R

rollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uh oh, you've been bit - this can be very dangerous to your wallet :) it sounds like you have a great mindset for this hobby and using for the forums for great advice is really smart

Yes indeed, I have a 500+ dollar order sitting with BRS (pump, probe, water tests, rock, and more) and am still convincing myself that it is OK to click the purchase button that I deserve it. LOL... It's the parent in me holding me back, like the old days when you sacrificed for your kids. They make more money than me now, but old habits are hard to break! Tonight, I am going to do it!

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd skip liquid test kits, where you can. Hanna digital controllers do use liquid, but they are more accurate, and easier to read, than liquid test kits. I use Hanna's low range phosphate checker, alkalinity checker, calcium check and iodine checker. I still use liquid test kits for potassium (Elos is the best I've found) iron (Hanna's iron test kit is the best I've found) and nitrate (you can get digital nitrate readers but they aren't cheap. I use sailfert's nitrate test kit).

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes indeed, I have a 500+ dollar order sitting with BRS (pump, probe, water tests, rock, and more) and am still convincing myself that it is OK to click the purchase button that I deserve it. LOL... It's the parent in me holding me back, like the old days when you sacrificed for your kids. They make more money than me now, but old habits are hard to break! Tonight, I am going to do it!

Nice bulk order... would love to see your lineup posted with pics and progress of your build... all i can say is Good Luck and keep reading/asking and watching videos of the stuff that you already have and will be buying... knowledge is power in this hobby. Experience will come after...

OP
OP
R

rollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arnie, I would like to do that too (starting a thread), if nothing else but for my own documentation. I am still cleaning out the workshop, making room for the tanks and whatnot. In the meantime, at night I am doing my research and slowly making my purchases. When I have all my ducks lined up in a row, I will start taking some pics and posting. Like you, I am starting off small and trying to stay within a budget. Tomorrow, I am installing the RO/DI combo drinking water system in the house. Not one to waste water here in parched Southern Calif, I am diverting the waste water to a couple of rain barrels out back for the garden. Meaning I have to crawl under the house at my age. HA!

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried many and here's what I use

Hanna phosphate
Hanna alkalinity
Red Sea calcium (tried the hanna but RS is more accurate)
Red Sea magnesium
Red Sea reef foundation kit for ammonia nitrite and nitrate

I am partially color blind so some kits are difficult for me to see so I prefer hanna checkers which just gives the number.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back