Oh no!

Pixburgh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saltwater tank lights turned on this morning and revealed that my clowns had passed :violin:. I have no idea what happened to them, one was stuck to the intake of a power head and the other was on the sand in the grips of a hermit crab. I took them out and frantically looked for the other inhabitants which consist of 2 hermits, 1 tiger pistol shrimp, 1 watchman goby and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp. Thankfully everyone else appears happy and healthy. My clowns weren't bonded yet, were still deciding who would be female etc so could they have just fought to the death with neither coming out victorious? They had no outward signs of ich, velvet, or anything I could detect myself. The black one had been chewed on by the hermit so torn fins were present, just not sure if it was after he had passed or before.

Other than the critters listed above, I have nothing else in the tank (no coral or anything) so right now it's just a FOWLR. Been waiting until my tank matured so that I could add an anemone, have it choose a nice spot and go from there etc.

Ph -8.2
NitrAte-0
NitrIte-0
Ammonia-0
Temperature -80.0

Edit: I've had the clowns since late June.

Last edited:

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge fish rarely fight during the night. That's why most recommend adding new fish when lights are off. Sorry for your loss

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange ur params seem good ..... Sorry for your loss. I dont know if they fought to the death seems excessive. My clowns also bonded immediately

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are pretty hardy. Check for stray voltage.

OP
OP
P

Pixburgh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm so nervous about. I picked up replacements but they will be in quarantine tank for a month so I'll just have to deal with watching the goby and clean up crew for a while. How do I check for stray voltage?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....... How do I check for stray voltage?

Using a multimeter/voltage-ohm-meter, set it for AC volts. Put one probe into your tank so the metal part of the probe is in water and take the other probe and put it on a good ground. I typically use that little screw in the center of a plug plate...that is actually grounded....or put in in the ground plug of an outlet. Note that a volt of so is still acceptable.

You can pick up a very inexpensive meter at Harbor Freight for six bucks:

image_23332.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back