A few q's before getting this tank running

Harry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally took the plunge and bought a used 29g cube. I still need a number of things but most I feel I can pick up as the tank cycles. First, can I get by without a heater for a while? My freshwater tank stays at 78F, I live in FL and I don't run the AC much. Tank occasionally gets down to 76 in the winter. Basically, if I have nothing but live sand and live rock in the tank, can I get by the next few weeks without having a heater, are the organisms in the rock and sand as sensitive to temp as livestock? If the cube drops to 76 is it going to kill the rock and/or effect my cycle? My other concern is the bio balls this thing came with. I haven't seen anyone say good things about them. Someone suggested to me I make that portion of the cube a refugium, and fill it with a sand bed, rock, and macroalge. The area is not lighted, and im not keen on the idea of trying to install another light into the hood. Without light, could I still use live rock rubble instead of bioballs? should I put a sandbed back there? Im concerned about keeping sand there because it wouldn't have to get far to get to my return.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a heater on my 14 gallon biocube but I should be in the winter. A decent heater is not to much cash and you should definitely consider getting one to keep your temp more stable. By the way, is this a biocube? If so a refugium in the back is not going to do much. It's a really small area in biocubes. If the lowest the temp gets is 76 it should be fine.

OP
OP
H

Harry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yes, it is a biocube, and yes, the area is very small! As for the heater ty, I will get one I just wanted to make sure I could go a few weeks without getting one. Do you have any suggestions for what I should do with that small area? Should I just use the biocubes? Area is maybe 3'' by 8'' and probably 14'' deep.

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 is fine, as said but once you get the livestock, I'd go for a heater on a controller. I wouldn't use the bioballs. Your idea of sand or rock would be perfect.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will definitely be fine without a heater for a couple of weeks. And maybe remove the bio balls and put live rock rubble in its place.

OP
OP
H

Harry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your input. Uncertainty is a terrible burden,one that it seems I will have to get used to in this journey into reef keeping. You've at least given me peace of mind for now, Thanks again!!!

OP
OP
H

Harry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need more advice!!! So the cube now contains a 20lb sand bed, which only ended up being a hair more than 3/4" deep, and 10 lbs of live rock (I know, I'll get more) I got from a LFS that I've trusted for a long time (now not so much :cry: did not like the advice he gave me for the cube, ie. not to buy RODI as its for "coral nuts", and I could start adding livestock in 2-3 days, yikes!). A few days later, I was so excited to see the first sign of life in my tank!! Now that I realize its aiptasia, I'm much less excited. So my question is, should I be trying to deal with this now, or should I let the tank cycle and go from there. Kind of blew my budget for the moment on the rock and sand, running out and buying kalkwasser right now isn't really an option. They are Also, should I throw in a table shrimp to kick-start the cycle? I've seen people say its not really necessary and the idea grosses out my old lady.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to get out the apastia before they reproduce. And you can ghost feed the tank to produce the same result as the shrimp.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need more advice!!! So the cube now contains a 20lb sand bed, which only ended up being a hair more than 3/4" deep, and 10 lbs of live rock (I know, I'll get more) I got from a LFS that I've trusted for a long time (now not so much :cry: did not like the advice he gave me for the cube, ie. not to buy RODI as its for "coral nuts", and I could start adding livestock in 2-3 days, yikes!). A few days later, I was so excited to see the first sign of life in my tank!! Now that I realize its aiptasia, I'm much less excited. So my question is, should I be trying to deal with this now, or should I let the tank cycle and go from there. Kind of blew my budget for the moment on the rock and sand, running out and buying kalkwasser right now isn't really an option. They are Also, should I throw in a table shrimp to kick-start the cycle? I've seen people say its not really necessary and the idea grosses out my old lady.

Your LFS is a lttle harsh it seems. Technically you could probably get by fine with a FOWLR system not using RODI... However I would not suggest it unless you enjoy cleaning your glass every 2 days... You could also add a fish to your tank but it is cruel to do that. There is some stuff in a bottle you can buy that states that you add it to your water and it cycles your tank 24hrs later. - I am not too sure how safe that is.

Since you don't have any other corals in the tank you could buy a couple peppermints and see if they will touch it. Basically you wanna deal with that aiptasia before adding anything else into the tank IMHO. Unless you like the looks of the aiptasia thats up to you...

You can also buy bhergia nudis but they are not going to be cheap...

I dont think there is any need to dose at this point in time... don't bother with kalkwrasser yet...

You can throw a shrimp in if you want... It is nasty but honestly since you have LR in there and LS I would just leave it be and let it cycle about 2 months. I know its hard but just set it and forget it. If you are worried about the cycle starting just scrape some coraline algae off of a friends tank and dump it into yours.

One last bit of advice - Don't burn bridges with your LFS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Harry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. My only question: Is it safe to introduce a peppermint shrimp now, or should I wait until after the nitrate cycle? I'm not in a rush to add any livestock to the tank, I'm willing to be patient with the cycle. I understand that its better to rid the tank of aiptasia before it gets any worse, but I don't want to put anybody in there if its going to be toxic for them.

OP
OP
H

Harry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH I haven't bought a test kit yet. Have a buddy who keeps saying he has extra stuff like that to give me. We'll see. If not I'll pick one up next week. Figured since its going to take a while I could wait a week or two. I guess I'm getting taught a lesson about being prepared for the unexpected. My LFS said he would test water for free, but idk how much to trust him anymore. I'll come back with more information, thanks again.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if it has a hood you may want to consider taking it off in the future, and mounting a nice LED light on it… Heres why

1) That thing gets hot under there… Really hot! That causes your bulbs to run hot and your fans to blow out. Bulbs are around $50sh and fans are $30-50sh. They will most likely need replacing every 6 months. That could be a $150-200 yearly expense. Also I live in VT and it makes my tank run hot… I can't imagine how it will run in FL!

2) More Evap, if you have corals and you want to dose to cut back on water changes then you need some decent evap. With that tank hood you won't have it.

3) With the top off you can now add better quality HOB hardware that you could not add before.

4) you are not blinded every time you need to open the hood to pick up a frag, adjust a rock, get to the back part etc...

I am not sure if your tank has the compartment on the right side as well. Where the water can enter from both the top and bottom. If it does you may want to consider punching out the bottom as it could become a nitrate trap.

I'd stay away from bio balls too, seems like a nightmare from what I have read. i did not use the ones that came with my biocube.

I don't mean to scare you I just want you to be well informed about the tank you bought :)

I'd wait a couple weeks after you start your cycle before you add some peps. if i were you, i'd buy like 4-5 of them and let them go to town on that rock, then take them back lol.

Last edited:

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH I haven't bought a test kit yet. Have a buddy who keeps saying he has extra stuff like that to give me. We'll see. If not I'll pick one up next week. Figured since its going to take a while I could wait a week or two. I guess I'm getting taught a lesson about being prepared for the unexpected. My LFS said he would test water for free, but idk how much to trust him anymore. I'll come back with more information, thanks again.

buy the kits online will probably be 1/2 your LFS cost. Also buy the red sea tests. I think everyone here trusts them better than the API tests.

Last edited:

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until your tank completely cycles before adding in livestock. You can research aiptasia killers on the site - I know some people recommend lemon juice....given that your tank is so new, you can pull the rock and inject easier since you don't have livestock in the tank at the moment.

dub3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used a syringe with vinegar and just gave that little aiptasia a shot, dissolves right up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back