To QT or not to QT that is the question

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting up my first tank and was wondering something. Does anyone QT their liverock? I hear horror stories of all kinds of nasty hitch hikers infesting DTs because they sneak in on the live rock. So is it in my interest to qt my liverock or no?

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if QTing your LR will help. Any hitchhikers could hide inside the cracks and crevices and not be detected. You could start with dry rock and that would keep you from getting any pests.

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to seed my own dry rock without using liverock to eliminate the possibility of pests?

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like starting with live rock.
Yeah you miss out on bristle worms, fan worms, sponges, micro stars, asterinas, and some of the other cool critters that make their residence in our live rock. I started live too... but if he's trying to quarantine and keep out the nasties, dry is the only sure fire method

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm another one that only likes dry rock. I just add my own stuff later. In actually working on (curing) some Pukani right now. I'll add seed rock later. Another week and I'll start adding livestock. :)

But nah... I've never QT'd live rock. Probably not a bad idea if you are worried about where it came from.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use mostly dry rock and some live rock from a trusted source like a friend with an established tank. This way I can get some of the life that comes in the live rock without the hassle of bad hitchhikers.

OP
OP
bclark1289

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm maybe get some liverock, QT it, and see if I get any cool critters with it if not see if I can do anything about the nasties. If not I still have lots of time to grow my own from dry rock and live sand.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to use live rock, get it from a reputable source and monitor it for a few weeks while you cycle. Beyond that, you're probably not going see much. It's all part of the fun of the hobby

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I new in saltwater tank. What you guys mean when you said seed your rock.

Seeding would be getting something like 50 lbs of dry rock than getting a small 2.5 lb rock to seed dry rock with beneficial bacteria and start the process a little quicker. Best to get that small rock from a very reputable place. Two reasons people get dry rock is because it removes the issue of hitchhikers on the rock and the dry rock is cheaper for quality rock. Than there is also the fact you are not paying for water weight when you buy dry rock. :smile:

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great reason for dry rock is that you can do a lot of what-if stacks for your aquascaping until you get it just right and break or cut it without splashing all over your room.

Choptrucks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some really sweet rock from Florida from a dealer down there and you wouldn't believe the life on the rocks the different kind of algae some good some very very aggressive and hard to eradicate shy of removing the entire rock... So I would be very cautious when getting/choosing what rock you start out with your aquariums.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the dry rock with seeding from live rock obtained from a reputable source is the way to go :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back