Looking for some advice

oiliaN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I consider myself New to the hobby just because I've only successfully kept fish, never coral. I've never really needed to worry about lighting. My roommate had a 120g Reef tank, but he made a supper good purchase on Craigslist and got everything he needed for cheap then paid a small fortune for the LFS owner to come out and set up all the equipment. So I learned very little from the experience, other than 120g worth of tank, water, and equipment is unnecessarily heavy and will blow the tranny out of a Chevy Astro. Our LFS has since closed leaving me stranded for advice. I'm planning on starting with a 55g I have sitting around. I bought a 5 stage RO/DI filter off BRS so I'm good on water quality, I hope. I have plumbing experience and plenty of containers to build my own sump and drain/return system. I bought a Refractometer and once I decide on a brand Ill be buying a bucket of salt mix. The lighting is the one place I'm completely in the dark, Yay puns. I want to keep it under 250 and preferably LED if I can afford it. DIY is fine, I just dont know where to start or what to buy. I found Amazon.com : Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 48 to 60-Inch : Aquarium Lights : Pet Supplies and some people in the reviews/questions said it would work. But I was looking for more reliable suggestions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back