Aquarpure Nitrate Filters

00geno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef to Reef Community, I'm here this evening to ask about Nitrate filters. I was wondering if anyone can give me any information on the Aquarpure Nitrate filters, the filters that you add Vodka to seed the process of the filter.. I was wondering if anyone knows if this type of filter actually works? Does this type of filter system completely removes all Nitrates? I would also like your opinion on if you would purchase a Nitrate filter and if's worth the money they're asking for it. I'm new to running a Reef Aquarium and any help would be greatly appreciated.. I call myself looking at old posts here on Reef to Reef to see if anyone asked this question before, but i cant seem to find anything on Nitrate filters or I'm overlooking it.. Thanks so much!!

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do work. There are nitrate reactors. They are pretty expensive. I would try carbon dosing with vinegar or vodka first. Research it first.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will certainly help but you need to find the source of your nitrate problem. Most of the time excess nutrients are the cause of nitrate issues.

OP
OP

00geno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!! Thanks for your reply, i was wondering where should i look for complete info on Carbon dosing with vinegar or vodka? Is that how you keep your Nitrates low?

OP
OP

00geno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!! sorry for taking so long to reply, but the holidays and work has been crazy!! My Nitate levels have been really high, today i had time to do a 20% (RO/DI) water change and then after about 4 hrs i took a Nitrate reading from my sump and the reading of my Nitrate levels are at 80ppm.. What else can i do besides changing more water? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!!

OP
OP

00geno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate & Bio Balls

Hi REEF2REEF, I was told this morning that as long as i was using Bio Balls in my sump it would be very hard for me to keep and maintain a zero Nitrate reading.. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if thats a true statement? If i remove the Bio Balls would this help lower my Nitrate readings? As always any help and advise would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate reactors/vodka dosing and so on do work. I prefer to use macro algaes which recycle nitrates into fish food.

OP
OP

00geno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate reactors/vodka dosing and so on do work. I prefer to use macro algaes which recycle nitrates into fish food.
Good morning beaslbob, I was wondering how do you use macro algaes? Do you process or grow macro algae in a separate sump or your sump itself?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning beaslbob, I was wondering how do you use macro algaes? Do you process or grow macro algae in a separate sump or your sump itself?
While it's best do use a refugium, if you have fish that don't eat the macros (not likely) or hard macros you can use the display. The simplest (also most effective and cheapest) was just to partition the back 3" of the tank and grow macros in that area. I also added some cheapie 2 tube shop light/utility fixtures to light up the area. I used 1/4 square plastic grid (egg crate also called lighting diffusers) which cost ~$11 for a 4'x2' section. Macros and pods thrived in that area and the fish were picking on the macros and pods the poked through. Nitrates dropped from 80-160ppm (red api test kit) to unmeasureable in three weeks. Phosphates followed a few months later. the tank had a heavy bioload, soft easy type corals, no water changes, and used untreated tap water.

OP
OP

00geno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! beaslbob thanks so much for this info.!! Thats so cool and an ingenious method of producing micro algae, I never would have thought about sectioning off 3" at the rear of my tank!! Again thanks so much for taking the time to explain this method to me!! Oh,, and It's cheaper than buying a refugium!! Thanks again!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back