New in gerneral

Ree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post and new to R2R. I have had my tank for 9months. Lost my fair share of fish in the learning process but believe my tank is as stable as it can be at this point. Please forgive me if I am not using the correct terms, but please help me to learn them. I have not lost any fish in over 1 1/2months (not a long time I realize) all are doing well at this point. I want to be the most educated I can be to be the most successful I can be in this hobby.
Currently 50gl started with live rock- dual chamber charcoal filter on one side and protein skimmer on the other. I have both actinic light and white florescent lighting.
Stock is 1-blue hippo tang, 1-yellow tang, 1- blue chromis, 1-cleaner shrimp, 1-long tip anemone, 8 -sm hermit crabs (they dont do well) and zoa polyps (that are thriving ). I am finding new life: slugs, copepods, serpent star fish (2) and a baby hard blue starfish that must of hitched ride. I don't have a r/o system but purchase it when needed. I have great water flow (circulation).
I would like to try out a LPS coral but really want to clarify what I should be testing my water for as I am getting mixed info from people I ask. Do I need to use both the white light and actinic lights for my corals?? Currently only using the actinic for 8 hrs a day otherwise just moon lights and nothing at bed times. Stopped white because of over growth of cyanobacteria and was told don't need white light anyway. Also what do I need to be testing my water for other than na+, nitrates, nitrites, ph, ammonia, alk, phos and calcium. All of which are within normal ranges.
.......All right let me have it ....

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, get a ro/di unit for your self as it will help you and your new saltwater tank!
Next make sure your lights aren't ammittin the wrong light (old fluorescent lights) which will help cayano and other a algae thrive

OP
OP
R

Ree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never mind I got everything but Kh???? Im already testing the others

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Get your own ro/di, they are cheap insurance to getting the best water possible. Maintain your water source and maintain your tanks water. There are variables in test results..cal 360-460, mag 1200+, alk 8-9 ish, ammonia and nitrite 0, phosphate and nitrate as low as possible.

Next would be good lights. Most like the blue glow that actinics emit, but some white is pleasing to the eye to balance it sometimes. Just make sure the spectrum is right. Also make sure the light penetrates enough so enough par gets to the lowest corals in the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back