Please help I think my blue tang is sick!

jaijai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has this white stripe along his back and bottom just saw it today does that mean he's sick?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422668748.554109.jpg

maxxin69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loss of color is usually due to poor diet. I would begin feeding it seaweed soaked in garlic and varied frozen foods with high quality pellets.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are algae eaters. They need it every day. Go to your local oriental market and purchase sushi algae (nori or laver). Also go to you LFS and pick up algae clips. Cut the nori into quarters. Fold that quarter two times, cutting the fold each time. Clip this into the algae clip and now cut ribbons about 1/8 wide.

EDIT TO ADD:

Here is the detail with pictures on how I prepare oriental market nori. I use an old cutting board and have put down painter's tape to center the nori. I also mark on the tape the centers, both top and bottom, and right and left. I use these marks to put the straight edge on to cut the nori. I'll then take some nori....don't count it, but maybe 8 to 10 sheets, and put it on the cutting board. Using the straight edge and a single edge razor, I'll cut the strips into four quarters.

I cut the entire package of nori and package this up in a couple sandwich baggies....for later daily use.

When I'm ready to feed, I'll take these small pieces and first fold in half and then cut down the fold line:

I'll fold in half again, and cut down this fold line

This gets placed into the algae clip and now cut into ribbons...about 1/8 inch wide:

When you're done, you now have bite-size pieces of nori for your tangs.

I have two tangs and feed two of these quarter sheets every day. Both these sheets go into one clip.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@redfishbluefish Nice tutorial!

@jaijai What you are seeing might be a nutritional deficiency or even the beginnings of HLLE. Either way, a change in diet (as discussed above) is definitely required! If you can, post some closeup pics of the fish and the affected areas. So we can help you determine whether or not a disease issue might also be in play here.

OP
OP
jaijai

jaijai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!:)

But today he is hiding and does not want to come out of his rock or even eat

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up HLLE. It is hard to tell by your photo but it looks like there are multiple discolorations besides on his spine. Blood worms (from what I've heard) is your least nutritious option. You are going to want to stick to Mysis shrimp or brine shrimp and definitely nori.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back