New as can be

Masonklatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm new to salt water tanks and reefing. I'm going to be setting up a 150 gallon tank with center overflow and sump refugium but I'm not quite sure what the best way to go about it is or what pumps skimmers and substrate would be the best and weather to keep my old 55 long for a frag tank or hospital tank. And what LEDs are worth the investment. I would rather have an empty unassembled tank than start up the wrong way and harm fish and corals.. All tips and advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. :wave:

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! In order to best help you tell us what kind of tank you want. Fish only, mixed reef, lps,sps, or softy only tank. A lot of equipment will be based on what you want. Also definitely keep the 55 for a QT. What type of fish interest you?

OP
OP
M

Masonklatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! In order to best help you tell us what kind of tank you want. Fish only, mixed reef, lps,sps, or softy only tank. A lot of equipment will be based on what you want. Also definitely keep the 55 for a QT. What type of fish interest you?

150 long 72"24"25. Mixed coral , tangs , clowns, triggers, wrasses, maybe a blue ribbon eel
I've been looking at kessils a360we tuna blue for lights.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you came to the right place for information!

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind some fish are coral nippers and others don't get along well make sure you research everything before purchasing. Also ribbon eels can be very difficult to keep I would not recommend a special requirement fish for a beginner.
150 long 72"24"25. Mixed coral , tangs , clowns, triggers, wrasses, maybe a blue ribbon eel
I've been looking at kessils a360we tuna blue for lights.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing about this hobby and being successful is doing lots of research and asking questions. But most importantly be patient. Kessil makes good lights. I believe 2 will cover you maybe someone else can chime in. I personally only have nano-tanks so can't recommend much else on equipment. Ask around I am sure you will get some good information on this forum. Also look through the Member Tanks forum and Large Aquariums 180g+ most of these people have build threads on their tanks that will help give you some ideas.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back