Brown Algae - Can't get rid of it!!

turtlesaltlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to this forum and am hoping that someone can help me out!

I have a 120 gal tank that has been set up since the end of August '14 and have been battling brown algae since the end of February that is all over my sand, on my rock, starting on the glass and have a little bit in my sump. I am not new to salt tanks; I have a 29 gal tank that has been set up for well over 2 years now.

I have a shallow sand bed, roughly 140 lbs of live rock, 2 power heads and a wave maker, sump system with a reef octopus protein skimmer and two hanging full spectrum lights.

My live stock includes 2 clowns, pygmy angel, flame angel, red stripped angel, purple fire goby, 2 cleaner shrimp, wrasse, snowflake eel, 2 damsels, bangaii cardinal, couple snails and hermits and a bubble tip anemone w/porcelain crab that recently split. Yes I know that some angels do tend to fight but everyone gets along in my tank including my eel. When I got her she was young and very small so she has grown with my fish and doesn't bother anyone. All of my fish are growing (most of at least doubled in size since I got them) and look very healthy.

I have my lights on timers; day lights are on for 8 hours a day and I typically turn the blue lights off at night every few days. I keep my water temp around 80. I do roughly 28 gal water changes about every 3 weeks where I add marine conditioner and a calcium booster each time. I change my sock filters roughly once a week as well as clean my protein skimmer.

I have tried dosing the tank with chemi-clean and it did absolutely nothing for the algae. I contacted my LPS and they suggested trying TLC Marine SAT. I dosed the tank once a week for 3 weeks per the directions and it would seem to help for a day or so then right back to the way it was. I have tried dosing my tank with Red Sea nitrate/phosphate reducer with no change in the algae. I have tried cutting my lighting times back clear to complete black outs. I have taken out my rock and scrubbed the algae off twice now as well as skimmed the top layer of sand off twice now (to the extent that I need to add sand now).

I feed twice a day alternating between pellets and frozen brine &/or mysis shrimp for the fish and anemone and my eel loves dried krill.

My water levels have stayed pretty steady w/nitrates & nitrites ranging between 5-10, phosphates around 0.25, calcium ranging between 360-380, alkalinity has been just a hair high around 8/9dKH.

I just do not know what else to do!! I have thought about doing a complete sand change but am afraid of putting my tank back into a new cycle. I have plans of adding corals to this tank but can't and will not until I can get rid of this extremely annoying and very frustrating algae!! :frusty:

If anyone has any suggestions or remedies I am all ears! I do not want to scratch everything with this tank and start over! My tanks are my passion and hobby. I have been in love with salt life ever since I became a diver and went diving in the Florida Keys!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm no expert but this may help:
I have a 34 gallon tank I change 5 gallons a week so if you have 120 I'd change 20-25 gallons a week but then again the more water your tank has the less it may need changed. Turbo snails help a lot as well as other snails. Get a clean up crew from reefcleaners.com
I feed once a day and switch day to day mysis to brine. I use chemi pure elite and phosgene. You can also vacuumed the sand bed as well as get a magnet scraper to clean the glass. Post some pics and keep us posted!!!

13jake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely up the water changes and also it sounds like a algae that comes from the silica. Is the sand new or old and did you clean it super good before you put it in.

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never cleaned sand. It always comes in a bag as live sand. Should I have cleaned it and wouldn't that have gotten rid of good bacteria?

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a pistol shrimp to help turn over the sand. He's fun to watch but steals frags in the sand bed. Stole an acan this morning. Scooter blennies also bury in the sand which helps.

13jake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you bought live sand it should have been fine. I always have pistil shrimps they are the best for cleaning sand. I guess I don't know what else to tell you sometimes you just have to let these things run their course

OP
OP
T

turtlesaltlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand was brand new live sand. My snails are the turbo snails. When they are on my rocks they do help but they like to stay on the glass most of the time for whatever reason and they don't tend to do anything with the sand. I did have a sleeper head goby for awhile (scattered sand every where) but he quit eating and passed away. I do have a magnet glass cleaner and use it almost every day to try and keep the glass clear. I have never tried vacuuming the sand in either one my tanks, I might look into that.

What is every ones opinion on sand bed depths? Mine right now is a shallow bed; varies from 1 to 2 inches across bottom depending on where rocks are sitting and my current. I have read some people prefer a lot deeper sand beds than mine and some prefer more shallow.

toothman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are high and nitrates also a little high. Your alk is not high, 7-11 is the range you want to be in. You need to reduce the phosphate and nitrate to get a reduction in the algae.

13jake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you increase water changes that should decrease nitrates and phosphates

gojk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic? Could be dinos. The methods for eliminating dinos are different than algae.

OP
OP
T

turtlesaltlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes tank is cycled. Did a 48 hr black out and it helped. Also ordered Phosbond to get rid of my phosphates and any silicates. Just got the phosbond in mail Monday so gonna have to wait to see if helps. I'll try to post a pic after work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back