Canon t3i suggestions

tureefik87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Canon t3i dslr camera with a 18-55mm lens. What lens would you suggest to take close up photos of frags and fish. Are there any settings I should testor set to and what mode should I put it on while taking photos. Any suggestions would be very helpful!

-galvin

Reef Remedies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, I love my t3i, what a great camera to learn on! My favorite lens in the Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 L Marco lens. Here is a link to my instagram where you can see all of the pics with that camera and lens combo. Instagram I think I bought my lens on ebay for around 800.00 used. Worth every penny. Even great taking shots of the kiddos. Just remember this is a prime lens (no zooming) so you will learn quickly how to use your feet to move yourself around for the right images. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

OP
OP
tureefik87

tureefik87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, I love my t3i, what a great camera to learn on! My favorite lens in the Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 L Marco lens. Here is a link to my instagram where you can see all of the pics with that camera and lens combo. Instagram I think I bought my lens on ebay for around 800.00 used. Worth every penny. Even great taking shots of the kiddos. Just remember this is a prime lens (no zooming) so you will learn quickly how to use your feet to move yourself around for the right images. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

I just viewed your photos and they look amazing!! I would love to get that lens but it's a little too expensive at this point of time. Is there another lens that is inexpensive that would be a good choice.

Reef Remedies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your kit lens can do macro photography, I'm assuming you have the canon EFS 18-55mm. If you look on the body you will see where it is printed "MACRO 0.25m/0.8ft" That is the range you need to shoot in for macro. You will have to get really close to your subjects. I recommend using manual focus only. Set you lens to live view and mount your camera on a tripod (even and cheap one will make this possible). If you find yourself in Texas please feel free to hit me up as I would love to walk you through some techniques. Also you should google mirror lock up and set your exposure button to timer so your hand is off the camera when it fires.

OP
OP
tureefik87

tureefik87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely need to play around with settings and the focus. I really appreciate all your feedback. Btw those photos look amazing, exactly what I would like to capture in the corals I shoot!

Reef Remedies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice to you is to shoot everything in M mode (manual). That will force you to see how the main three settings change the photos. The most common settings I shoot under would be an Aperture of 5.6, ISO of 400, and I adjust the exposure time to where it's just slightly under exposed on the graph. Make sure to shoot in RAW format so when you "process" your photos in photoshop you have the most information to work with. If none of that makes any sense to you then please watch as many youtube videos as you can. I typically shoot with the cloudy setting for my color balance as it helps to cut some of the blue from your aquarium lighting.

OP
OP
tureefik87

tureefik87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice to you is to shoot everything in M mode (manual). That will force you to see how the main three settings change the photos. The most common settings I shoot under would be an Aperture of 5.6, ISO of 400, and I adjust the exposure time to where it's just slightly under exposed on the graph. Make sure to shoot in RAW format so when you "process" your photos in photoshop you have the most information to work with. If none of that makes any sense to you then please watch as many youtube videos as you can. I typically shoot with the cloudy setting for my color balance as it helps to cut some of the blue from your aquarium lighting.

Thanks again!

exonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tureefik87, you can buy non "L" version of the same lens. Canon 100mm f2.8 macro. It is much cheeper but still very good lens.[/FONT]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back