Help please

stacy_vennes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:tongue: Never had an issue with any types of algae till now. It's covering most my rocks and is now in some of my zoas espically my fire and ice ones. All water levels are fine. Did a water change 8/1/13. I do 30 gallon change on the first of each month. Haven't changed the way i do things. :frusty:
I test my levels each week and if i doubt my testing i take it to a store i trust and get a second opinion. I always dip/quarintine before putting anything new in my tank. Please help. Thanks
Here are my fire and ice zoas
http://i1201.photob
ucket.com/albums/bb348/stacy_vennes/20130805_175052_zpsf74e3c12.jpg

starting to cover these polyps

My candy canes :(

More sadness

Thanks for looking y'all

Steventnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like byopsis man. Bad news. Must've gotten them from a new addition like frags, or rocks. Don't pull them while inside your tank. Will spread faster. Use kent tech-m, or soak rock in peroxide with tank water in a desperate bucket. Zoos are ok to soak in peroxide and tank water solution. Good luck

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best remedy for *Bryopsis Algae* is raising your magnesium levels to 1500-1600 using Kents Tech-M. Tried and true!!
No harm will come to any other tank inhabitants :) I actually keep my mag at 1500 period.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best remedy for *Bryopsis Algae* is raising your magnesium levels to 1500-1600 using Kents Tech-M. Tried and true!!
No harm will come to any other tank inhabitants :) I actually keep my mag at 1500 period.

You keep your Mag at 1500? Are there befits from keeping it higher? Ive always kept mine at 1350. Im just curious, Love learning new things in this hobby.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bryopsis.. Not much eats it, I had some on some frags in my last tank and spread to part of my tank.... Control nutrients and it goes away slowly. I also would pull it out every chance I got with a siphon, if allowed to drift around the tank it will spread. Your nutrients may read low but that because the algae is consuming it.
Bryopsis is also good at catching detritus or food in the water column.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. to me, "All levels are FINE" means very little. yes, your alk, ca and salinity may be fine, but PLEASE post specific nitrate and Phosphate levels. along with the actual readings, this will tell us the whole story. What size tank?

IME, without knowing your levels, I would say this is a nutrient issue. too much nitrate and or phosphate. you could also try some hermits, and or a Tang if your tang is larger.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefits of keeping my Mag in the 1500 range are as follows. Makes the Ca/Alk easier for stoney corals to absorb, which has given me better growth. Best of all, most algaes do not like it.
This info and experience came to me from several old time sps reefers. When they speak to me, I listen :) Between them they have more then 40yrs in this hobby and haven't steered me wrong yet. I've been doing this now for a year.
I don't keep sps but all my LPS grow like crazy!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
stacy_vennes

stacy_vennes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks nanareefer. I will give it a try when i can. i had a little set back with my surgery. I just got home from the hospital tonight and it will be a few days before i can get around

OP
OP
stacy_vennes

stacy_vennes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my update. After my surgery I was only able to watch it spread :(. Just last week we took out 80% of the rock and dipped it in peroxide solution and scrubbed with a tooth brush. Then rinsed the rock really, really, good in ro/di water then put it back in the tank. I only lost a few heads of fire and ice zoas and 3 heads of candy canes. As of today no signs of new growth. Thanks for the advise everyone. I also did a water change 2 days after cleaning the rock and checked my levels, and everything is good.

OP
OP
stacy_vennes

stacy_vennes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it's been since August and here is an update on my 125 tank. I have had a lot of Issues with my knee surgery and it kept me from doing anything. Not only that but I also lost my job due to they said they cant hold my position for that long :(. So, the lovely byporsis grew to horrible amounts. About 3 months ago I took all my coral out my DT and cramed it all in a 15 gallon and 10 gallon tank. I bought some kent mag a 1 gallon bottle and started to dose to raise the mag slowly s I don't kill my fish. Day 1: I dose and the mag raises to 1650 ppm. The next day I test and the pm went down, and I'm like what is going on? I get aggravated ( granite I been aggravated since august) I dumped the whole 1 gallon of kent in the tank. I'm thinking that will raise it for sure. After I calm down I then think "I probably just killed my fish" :(. My husband gets home and I tell him what I did lol the look on his face. Come t find out I was so mad that I was reading the test kit wrong. It's a red sea test kit. So now I'm very worried. He test the mag and it was a whopping 4600 ppm!! I did not do a water change. The next day all fish are still swimming :) an we test again an the mag has gone down a little. Overtime it drops down to 2000 ppm. I keep the ppm at 2000 for the next 2 months. I also took out over half the rock to let it dry out. after about 2 months I add the dried out rock and acclimate the coral back to my DT. It's now been about 3 weeks since I put the tank back together and so far everything is good. I am still keep the mag at 2000. I'm going keep it there for probably about 2 more months just to be on h safe side. ANyways thanks and here are a few after pictures.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back