Gradual tank build long read please help

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I got my 55 gal reef tank set up already but I'm thinking of upgrading everything about it im going to build a new stand for it because the one I have is made of mdf and it's got a bit of water damage I can't complain to much cos I got the tank and stand for $50.

My biggest problem I'm facing is I have a set of 400 watt metal halides it's got 2 globes in it over 4 feet I'm going to be putting a sort of canopy style thing over head I just wanna know the best way to cool it down. I can't afford a $700 chiller so I was thinking some fans maybe what would use do.

I'm also going to run a sump I will have 1200mm of space length ways and 450mm wide and there will be 1000mm head room under the tank any suggestions on what size sump and refuge I should run? I am planning an SPS reef

OP
OP
darylb94

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the hight of the lights the fixture has 2 400 watt halides I don't have any idea about them

OP
OP
darylb94

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my stand drawing I finished it up tonight I need to make a frame for the halides to sit in still but it should work out well
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391782748.242828.jpg

OP
OP
darylb94

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might update quickly I bought some led lights 165watt dimmable full spectrum I got 3 fixtures for $430 one is going over my 20gal I also started building the new tank stand today I only got the base frame done so far but here it it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394088117.950691.jpg

OP
OP
darylb94

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is usually it will just host at night when it's closed up as soon as I added the LEDs it went straight in there kinda weird but really cool

OP
OP
darylb94

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well be of an update I have personally built a sump and refugium for my tank it's a 40 gallon sump and a 9 gallon refuge I plan to get it all done within the next month I have to wait a week for the silicon on the 9 gallon to dry and at the same time I'm leak testing the 40 so it will be filled up for about 2 weeks and then the same will go for the 9 I then have to sort out how to plumb this into my existing tank I'm going to have to move the tank for the new stand and probably order some hang on overflows I will get 2 so I reduce the risk of blockages

OP
OP
darylb94

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is that planned the refuge was a build just to see how well I could cut glass today :) I have started building my stand already so I'm going to modify it now I'm gonna add a step to the back under it will be the Sumer and refuge and will have a false floor so I can work on the sump or refuge

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back