Call to the Radion Fan club.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how the nano box will win, ill never know!!! I tried to get on their website to check them out and do a bit of research, biggest pile of junk. No real info, terrible navigation...how am I supposed to support a product and think about buying it, when the presentation is garbage.

VABumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the lights are custom made so you need to contact Dave to configure your light. The website does have all of the base information such as that there is a 5" model and a 12" model, that there are full spectrum models and non-full spectrum models, and that they have full controllability. They are true full spectrum lights, unlike the Radion, featuring warm LED's. For the same price as the base Radion you can configure a 12" light with whatever LED's your heart desires, any color or finish for the light, and any hanging or mounting configuration you need as well. Dave has cherry picked the best LED's to utilize in his lighting, with only the best color rendition and accurate wavelengths. The Storm X controller that Dave uses features settings such as cloud passing, thunderstorm simulation, ramp up/ramp down, moon phase adjustments for moon lighting, latitude and longitude dependent sunrise/sunset, and so much more. You can even connect the controller to your computer! Dave's lights have far superior build quality to the Radion, with uni-body aluminum alloy housing, high performance fans, auto-grade paint and finishes, and German-imported PC-application cable sleeves. Dave will also upgrade your light throughout the years so you can keep up with the latest in LED development. The best part about NanoBox Reef is that it is run by a hobbyist, just like you and me, and that he will do whatever it takes to get you your dream lighting set up.You will also be speaking with the creator of your specific light every time you email or message the company. If you do not understand the importance of the last two sentences, you have fallen too far into the cloud of blissful, Ecotech ignorance.

Last edited:

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the lights are custom made so you need to contact Dave to configure your light. The website does have all of the base information such as that there is a 5" model and a 12" model, that there are full spectrum models and non-full spectrum models, and that they have full controllability. They are true full spectrum lights, unlike the Radion, featuring warm LED's. For the same price as the base Radion you can configure a 12" light with whatever LED's your heart desires, any color or finish for the light, and any hanging or mounting configuration you need as well. Dave has cherry picked the best LED's to utilize in his lighting, with only the best color rendition and accurate wavelengths. The Storm X controller that Dave uses features settings such as cloud passing, thunderstorm simulation, ramp up/ramp down, moon phase adjustments for moon lighting, latitude and longitude dependent sunrise/sunset, and so much more. You can even connect the controller to your computer! Dave's lights have far superior build quality to the Radion, with uni-body aluminum alloy housing, high performance fans, auto-grade paint and finishes, and German-imported PC-application cable sleeves. Dave will also upgrade your light throughout the years so you can keep up with the latest in LED development. The best part about NanoBox Reef is that it is run by a hobbyist, just like you and me, and that he will do whatever it takes to get you your dream lighting set up.You will also be speaking with the creator of your specific light every time you email or message the company. If you do not understand the importance of the last two sentences, you have fallen too far into the cloud of blissful, Ecotech ignorance.
+1 to all of this.

Nanobox is an awesome company with an awesome product. Dave is knockin' it out of the park. He actually custom mills his own enclosures from tubular aluminum - there is nothing else like it.. these things are hand crafted in the USA, not built on an assembly line. and well.. the diode selection is hands down better than the radion.

don't get me wrong, the radion is a nice fixture, but what have they really done to deserve to win this year? all they do is update and tweak the same light every year. they can't even seem to figure out what LEDs they should be using.. if they would pay closer attention to hobbyists rather than just tossing diodes around willy-nilly, they could have a great product..

bigfoot86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the companies like radion, AI, etc. just update their fixtures every year with small differences. Maxspect Razors are one of the few companies that been around for the the last few years that HAVE NOT updated their fixtures and are probably one of the biggest sellers in the industry. That's saying a lot for Maxspect!

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said metro, that was basically my point as well. They're not even really in the same category, and it's hard to compare them. But it did make me do some research on nano box and I'm contemplating getting some so, the publicity will be good for the business.

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a T5/full spectrum hybrid light that is a retrofit done by NanoBox. I also have a storm controller on it. Couldn't be happier.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back