Anemone discussion

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of us here have Clowns and with clowns eventully comes anemones. I have a 1yr old pair of Maldives Clownfish and have been looking for thier symbiant anemone. After doing a bunch of reaserch and reading my books on anemones I have found that the only anemone they will truly host in is Heteractis magnifica. In the readings I have read they seem to be difficult to keep. I have had Roses, other BTAs, a small carpet and a malu over the years I did real well with most and traded them away as my preferances changed. I have a Heteractis magnifica coming after almost 6 months of my LFS looking for me. I traded a Giant tapetum like Fraggle reef have on thier website,for this anemone a few months back after it ate my Elegant psudochromis. I know they are rock dwellers and need bright light, of which I have. Has anybody else had any expireances with anemone? I am not sure of the colors yet but will see the package coming tomorrow at the LFS, hopfully it will be one of the purple and maroon foot color morphs.

This is one of the things we haven't discussed on this site yet so let get it going......Anemones flowers of the sea.....Lets discuss.

James

Last edited:

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a rbta which is being hosted by tank raised percula's, and that is not supposed to happen, so I would say there is a chance of them hosting in something else if you give them the chance.

apparently the Het. m. need heavy water flow as they live on the reef crests exposed to large amounts of water motion. what you got flow wise in there?

good luck with the matchmaking.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green bubbletip anemone for about 4 days. I woke up on the fourth day to find the anemone had been shredded and spread throughout the tank. Sometime in the middle of the night he got sucked into my tunze stream.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had BTA's and have a H. crispa, but have never kept an H. magnifica. Here is my crispa. I'll get a better pic tonight (it moved to the closer side of the tank a month or so ago).

sabae-100106.jpg

I've had no issues with this guy (or the BTA's), but the symbiots are a different story. Shakes (the maroon I've had for a decade) is an aggressive interior designer that does not take well to others giving coral placement advice. The Cinnamons in the crispa think they're tough, but they don't scare me ;) (Shakes has settled down over the last year, though). If you've had luck with anemones in the past, I think you'll have a better chance of making this guy happy. They get huge, though. FWIW, clowns don't only stick to their natural symbiot (I've seen them host in hair algae...)- unless you're just looking for the nature symbiot, which I completely understand.

Keep us posted on how it does. It's always fun to try something a lot of people seem too have issues with.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have 2 MJ 1200, MJ 600, 2 Tunze mini power heads, a rio 300 I think. One of the 1200s and the rio are on a wave timer. Plus a HOT(millennium 2000) power filter. After next week I will have a Tunze nano 6025 also...They are going to hold it for me for awhile to make sure that it is healthy.....I had a Rose and they showed no interest in it for months so that was traded for frags.....They had no interest in the maxi Tapetum either so I traded that for the magnifica after it ate my favorite fish...:( . I have a shallower tank so it will get plenty of light and I have just the spot for it when it comes.......I have had quite a few anemones over the years some quite rare ones that would come as hitchikers on live rock......I had one that Dr.Ron tried toget me to sell him for awhile....But I wouldn't budge. These clowns are sissys compared to the Maroon I had. When I do tank maintance they run and hide and don't come back out for 10-15 minutes after I am done...They are deffinantly a pair though they smaller one which is the male has been doing the flutter dance in front of the female for the last month or two. They have doubled in size since I got them.......Here is a video of them shortly after I got them....The tank has been rearranged since then..
http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/The_real_Azurel/?action=view&current=DSCN9911.flv

Last edited:

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clowns rock, hence my username. I've had mine for almost 11 months, 12 on Christmad day, anone succsessfull paired maroons, I tried two weeks after I got my first and the bigger maroon started attacking the smaller one.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the PM thanks Maroonytunes.....I forgot to mention the anemone is coming from Quality Marine out of Cali.....According to Bob Fenner they are one of the best for getting healthy anemones and have taken great care at making sure they are shipped with out damage.........So we shall see.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a fake anenome... nah i have a perc that hosts in this seaweed type of stuff growing out of my one rock. Not to much of it but it grows maybe at a rate of an inch per month....

Steve :D

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shakes the clown; i like it.

Not many people get that anymore ;) .

Az,

One thing to think about is that anemones are notorious komikaze artists. If it si anywhere near your powerheads, it will find a way in... If you have the strainers on everything, that helps, but they still find ways. Keep an eye on it when you put it in. I've had BTA's get buzz cuts with no ill effects, but when they split, they put some nasty stuff int eh water. The crispa put some nasty stuff in the water from just a powerhead...

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a RBTA one time that got caught up into a powerhead and the striner was on it but it had a big hole in it this thing was packed so tight I couldn't get it out.....I left it on the bottom of the tank and with in 2 days it got out on it's own. It was frayed quite a bit but lived to see another day....

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my LFS got the anemones in from Quality Marine...All I have to say is WOW they are nice and healthy which says alot for QM. I read over on Wetwebmedia about Quality Marine and Bob Fenner really gives props to them for the way they take care of anemones and how they keep them in thier holding tanks. This anemone that Lynn got for me is absolutly beautiful, it will be about 10-12 inches when it gets under my lights, so I will have to do some rearranging in my tank toget ready for it. It has a really bright purple base and brownish yellow tenticles with yellow tips. I can't wait toget it, although she is going to hold it for me for a week just to make sure they are OK and help settle after being shipped. Just an Update.......

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a shot of my M. crispa (a little closer, but still have to be back because it is a monster).
M-crispa-120706.jpg

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that is hhuugggeee!

I had 2 rbtas, wound up trading them. Didn't have a prob with them moving after I switching to MH- he stuck his little foot into a rock and that was it... I miss him. Will get another one of these days!

:D
Laurie

plaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fraggle Reef says the Maxi Minis are 100% fish safe. Is that the same type of Maxi Tapetum that ate your fish? I was thinking of getting one but have always avoided anemones because of my Mandarins (I don't want anything in the tank that might harm them).

plaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind - I think I misread his e-mail. He just says they are 100% reef safe, not fish safe! My mistake.

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it doesnt work out-I have 2 baby H. magnifica from the mother that clones in my tank every 6 months or so, let me know if you are interested. I will try to grab a shot of the baby I have here at home today if you are interested-It is purple with green tips and a pinkish orangish base.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine. I think the clown is a cross between a Clarki and a Chyrs. It keeps killing other Clarki's i try to mate with her.. My LFS thanks i'm a Clarki addict [ IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f175/msman825/Ridingthebreeze.jpg[/IMG]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back