Constant Diatoms on my sand bed...?

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my tank running for 3 months now. It is 60x30x24 (approx 190g about 200g/210g with sump and rock displacement) with two Tunze 6105's and a wavelike DC10000II for a return. I seem to have constant diatoms on my sand.
Parameters are:
Sal.: 1.025/26
Mag:1500 a little higher than normal
Cal: 445
PH:8.1/7.8
Alk: 7.4
Phos: undetectable with API kit, brand new package
I've been running carbon in a bag and GFO in a bag also.
Lights: LEDS 1 hour ramp to 100% from 11-noon and 3hr ramp down from 6-9
T5's 1 hr rump up to 100% from 12;30 to 1:30 and and 1 hr ramp down from 5:30 to 6:30
I feed my fish daily, LRS frozen but not what I would consider heavy. I have what I think is a light fish count for the tank size.
1 Mag. Foxface
1 Juvi. Blue Throat Trigger
1 Golden Dwarf Moray (fed twice a week)
1 B/W Osc.
1 Med 6line
1 Sailfin Blennie
Sand is a mix of wet and dry Tropic Eden Reef Flakes and Mini Flakes. About 2.5" around the parameter of the aquascape, deeper in other areas. I have my pumps running at 80%, any higher and I would have a sand storm or constant dunes.

Is the tank still cycling (in a sense)? never encountered this before. Any help would be appreciated

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add some pics also:

tank.jpg

you can see on the sand in the corners

tank2.jpg

same thing on this side

tank fts.jpg

after yesterdays water change and a bit of re-arrangement hoping to help, but I'm already noticing some spots on the sand.

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had the same issue after nearly 7 months, i tried Nualgi and maintained my 10 gallons a week water change and its all gone now..
best of luck

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the tank is still cycling. Also, your dKh appears to be low.

Also, do you have a good CUC? A nice Diamond Goby will help clear the sand :)

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC :
about 200 small cerith
50 or so nerite (?) snails
3 Queen Conchs
3 or 4 Serpent stars
and a various amount of other snails (Bumblebees, ect.)

Baird: I'm hoping not to go the chemical route, though it may be the easiest fix. I'm hoping to fix this issue with my day to day maintenance. IF I get frustrated enough, I may try Naulgi or some other product. Hoping it's just some minor fix, or still just "Cycling" and fixes itself over time.

ReefMad: I'm trying to boost my alk also at the moment, just don't want to shock the system and fry what little coral I have at the moment. I have thought about a diamond goby, but I have heard that they only stay in one area? Do you have more experience and is this a false statement or is a luck of the draw?

Thank you both for a quick response. Any other suggestions or tips?

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ a good clean up crew helped me out a lot, but took some time. Try some nassarius snails and a diamond goby to help turn the sand over. Id say CUC and regular water changes and you should be back to normal. Plus the tank more than likely is just finishing its cycle and adjusting to the bio-load it has.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby was all over the place, only downfall about him was some of my small acans would end up with sand on them via his awesome sand skills lol.
CUC :
about 200 small cerith
3 Queen Conchs
3 or 4 Serpent stars

Baird: I'm hoping not to go the chemical route, though it may be the easiest fix. I'm hoping to fix this issue with my day to day maintenance. IF I get frustrated enough, I may try Naulgi or some other product. Hoping it's just some minor fix, or still just "Cycling" and fixes itself over time.

ReefMad: I'm trying to boost my alk also at the moment, just don't want to shock the system and fry what little coral I have at the moment. I have thought about a diamond goby, but I have heard that they only stay in one area? Do you have more experience and is this a false statement or is a luck of the draw?

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave: That is what I'm hoping. I've been on a mind set to add the fish first and let the system level out before I really start stocking corals. Could this be backwards thinking?

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC :
about 200 small cerith
3 Queen Conchs
3 or 4 Serpent stars

My Diamond Goby cruises around my tank all day long sifting sand through its gills. I would highly recommend one!

Also, when you do your water changes - try to gravel vac the areas with diatoms. You should see it just peel off.

I remember way back around my 3rd month or so I had a nice outbreak of Cyanobacteria. Couple gravel vacs later and with time, non-existent.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some would say wait but if the fish are doing great and corals look good id say go for it, plus the goby will probably go straight to work and help with he headache of diatoms.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy little guys aren't they, pretty wicked to watch them work!

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Diamond Goby cruises around my tank all day long sifting sand through its gills. I would highly recommend one!

Also, when you do your water changes - try to gravel vac the areas with diatoms. You should see it just peel off.

I remember way back around my 3rd month or so I had a nice outbreak of Cyanobacteria. Couple gravel vacs later and with time, non-existent.

I actually removed about half a bucket of sand over the weekend, thinking I may have to much. I've started doing a water change every two days, 10g to help raise my alk. I think I may have to try the diamond goby to help in the long rung and constantly turn the sand.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id say once you get the goby and your cycle is well over you wont have to do any siphon cleaning anymore to the sand, The nassarius snails and diamond goby does the trick!
I actually removed about half a bucket of sand over the weekend, thinking I may have to much. I've started doing a water change every two days, 10g to help raise my alk. I think I may have to try the diamond goby to help in the long rung and constantly turn the sand.

Ladysaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this going on as well. All my params were normal. I finally figured out that my Radions were too high. Once I turned them down to 70%, my issue stopped. Maybe check your lights as well..

Just a suggestion :)

Jenn

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back