Need help on what kind of Led lighting should I put on the tank that's under $600. I am new to the h

RR17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 48"L X 18"W X 24"Deep. I'm not sure how many gallons this tank is.

EllisJuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not recommend LED to someone that is just taking their first plunge into building a reef. I would go with a T5 fixture. They are tried and true proven, offer great color, strong growth, and are forgiving. With your budget you can buy a REALLY nice 6 bulb ATI fixture. This is what I would buy: ATI 48 Inch SunPower T5HO High-Output Fixtures

Last edited:

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not led for their first time? I would rather buy an led unit that would out last that t5 fixture and bulbs for years, than to keep replacing bulbs every six months.

Personally I would look into reef radiance LEDs. They are very easy on your wallet and they do a great job, I have three of their units.

But everyone will have their own opinions about lighting. Just gotta find what ya want with-in your budget.

EllisJuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not led for their first time?

In my experience there is a bit of a learning curve with LED lighting. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Reef Radiance Lumentek. I do feel like I have to be mindful of the intensity as to not melt/bleach some of my coral. I just feel like when someone is starting a reef for the first time, there is a lot going on and T5 is easier to have initial success with. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
R

RR17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at both led and t5's and I'm really leaning more on led's and as I mentioned before I have FOWLR set up right now and I want to gradually work my way to having a reef tank but after I researched and learn the know how of keeping a reef tank. Thanks for the help.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your not sure your tank is a 90 gallon. Reef breeder photon 48. I believe is the best led for a person on a budget

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back