Growing pods in the overflow box question

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eshopps sump only has 2 compartments so I can't really set up a refugium due to the skimmer being in one and my return in the other. I was wondering if anyone has tried throwing some lr and cheato in the overflow box to see if they'll grow in there. What would be the downside of doing this, I would imagine it'll be kind of hard to clean. My tank is a 90 gallon bowfront, so it's pretty tall, I think around 30". So I've got plenty of wasted space in the overflow box and I'm trying to make use of it. I'm still a newbie and I've never tried doing anything with growing pods, my tank has been running for about a year and a half now and it's my first sw tank.

Attachments

• 20140420_205802.jpg
    20140420_205802.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 20140420_205453.jpg
    20140420_205453.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 306
  • 20140420_205419.jpg
    20140420_205419.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 321
OP
OP
salttanklife

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think it's even plausible to do so. It might be a dumb question because I've never tried anything with growing pods and don't know how to do it.

OP
OP
salttanklife

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it would be bad if it got clogged with the return pump still pumping. Maybe it's not such a good idea when you put it like that. I might try throwing just some lr in it to see if my shrimp population will grow.

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the only thing I can think of too. If you can figure a way to get the macro from the intake and still allow good flow it would probably work.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw rubble rock into my overflow about 6 months ago, no ill effects yet. I see pods in there all the time. i also made pod condos in the sump to rotate between the display and my sump.

OP
OP
salttanklife

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely going to throw some rubble rock in there. I've got little shrimp that I see running back and forth in there all the time. I never hear anything about anyone trying to use the dead space in the overflow but it seems like a good place to keep things safe and add some extra filtration at the same time.

OP
OP
salttanklife

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do some research on the pod condos as well and give that a try. I want to get a mandarin eventually but I want a good pod population before I even think of putting one in the tank

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of pods would end up in your filter sock. You would need a way to get them into your DT from the overflow. The condos might work.

OP
OP
salttanklife

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull my shrimp out the filter sock every time I change it and put them in the tank. Most of them don't make it to the bottom before being eaten

OP
OP
salttanklife

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try the pod condos tied to some fishing string dropped down into the overflow with some loose lr rubble in the bottom.

BigDaddyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear hamster ball with Chaeto on sump. That will keep from clogging the skimmer. I am going to try it because I am in the same situation with the eshopps on my 120

sooley19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When taking the pods and shrimp out of your filter sock to change it turn off the lights for a bit before so they can hide and populate in your tank

OP
OP
salttanklife

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a sponge inside of my filter sock that the shrimp can go inside of. I usually keep it in for about 3 sock changes and set it in the sump for about a week. I never see anything inside the sump, so I think that idea isn't working. I think they're getting pulled into the skimmer or something. I'll probably start putting the sponge from the sock into the overflow box with the lr rubble and pod condos. I don't really have the room under the tank to add the extra sump under the tank. I was considering a algae scrubber like the one you have, I heard it'll make the pod population explode in a tank. I've got the plexiglass to do it, just trying to find some good lighting to start the build.

jose.j.vargas.18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a miracle mud too I keep mine inside of plastic container and ruble rock on top , have some mangroves and chaeto and you can see the pods Swiming around they create there houses inside the ruble rock.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 93 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back