Tangs have ich? Try this stuff

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks back I bought a Hippo Tang which looked really health at the LFS but I think due transportation and acclimation he came down with ich that covered most of his body a few days later. So of course the healthy Naso Tang thought it would be really cool to rub up against his new friend and you can guess what happened next.... two tangs with ich.. **** it.

So first I tried treating it using the whole tank treatment method and dosed with some stuff I got from the LFS, did a 20% water change per the instructions (I always follow instructions to the T) which seemed to beat back the ich but a week later both tangs were covered again.... **** it x2!

So went to the different LFS and they told me to try this stuff

9E282E04-A10A-445A-A39A-5EFF4C31EB52.jpg

The dose scheduled I used was one cap full when I feed the tank in the morning and one cap full at night when I do my second feeding. First off, all the fish love this stuff and eat all of it before it hits the sand and especially the two tangs just go crazy when they see the little eggs floating in the water column. After everything is eaten I feed them their normal food of seaweed and mysis shrimp which I reduced in quantity to offset the amount of eggs I'm using for treatment.

Results: 3 days into the treatment a noticeable drop in the body coverage of the ich and roughly 7 days later the ich was no longer visible on either tang! Per my LFS I'm continuing to dose until the bottle is gone while feeding a little extra Mysis shrimp to fatten up the Hippo tang and build it's immune system up. The best part is no 20% water change required!

The bottle is a little over half gone so the real test will be once treatment ends if the ich satays away but based on the results so far I feel confident enough to share on these results on the forum.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jduck, I take it you're hinting at phosphates and the potential for a algae bloom? it's a good point and so far I've seen no change in the amount of brown algae I clean off the glass and no sign of green or other types of algae. But this could be do to two things; I'm running on credit because of the 20% water change (RO/DI Coral Pro salt) and/or I also run a phosphate reactor.

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally the best way to treat any new fish is QT and get them to start eating. As a Tang lover I have five in my 180. I do not have a QT tank. The absolute best thing you can do if you see ick after adding a new fish is feed like crazy. All fish are predisposed to ick. It's the stress that brings it out. I've done all the so called Jesus juice, took fish from the tank for 9 weeks and treated them with copper, a week after putting them back in the DT ick came back. See I was not feeding enough for fear of p04 and nitrates. My tank now is full of SPS and I'm feeding like crazy with no issues. This goes back to patients and having a well established tank. So the moral to my story is be careful dumping stuff into your tank. Most issues can be solved with good water and husbandry. Spend money on good food and water changes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back