FAVIA questions

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I bought some favias acans and zoas that are all in quarantine for 2 weeks before I move em to my display ( its day 4 of the qt ) . Just curious about favia care . The one doesn't seem happy and it looks like its died back as there is a bit of skeleton showing around the entire coral . The water quality is excellent Its had nothing in it and has a phosphate removal pad and floss filtration And ive done water changes . I know they dont like high light so I shaded them there are no pests that ive seen . Plus I dipped all of my corals and all that came off were harmless hitch hikers ... my acans are very happy so are most of my zoas ( some wont open but thats just zoas I guess ) and the other favia looks alright Its had a tiny bit die off but just on a little bit on the one side I would imagine thats stress related . Ive tried spot feeding with crushed fish flakes . Only my acans ate that . So ive ordered some live phytoplankton and rotifers . Anything I should give it in particular? This is the one that im concerned about
7e6e86ab9de6070a783034ff8579aae5.jpg
this is my other favia
970cf54a0556fc6a4acfa241ef4ff2d5.jpg
<br/>

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where are they placed in your tank? My favias seem to like moderate flow and lower lighting (mine are on the sand bed). The one in the bottom picture looks like a war coral (still in the favia family) which IME like higher light and moderate flow. Others with more experience can feel free to chime in.

OP
OP
AquariumNut-Josh

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a complete noob when it comes to favias lol ive kept a ton of different corals just not that ... I have it well shaded theres a 90 watt led above a 10 gallon soo I figured I would need to lol I ordered a little power head to add flow

chemwiz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the War Coral ID, but they both will take the same foods. Unlike Acans which you can get to eat during the day, the Favia family will almost always only eat while the lights are out. I would reconmend feeding a frozen shrimp based food a couple hours after lights out twice a week. I spot feed my Favias the same food I feed my clownfish. That should allow your frag to grow a bit as it looks like the top one looks ok but is pretty fresh cut. Hope that helps.

moulton712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed they dont like dirty water. Plus they will bleach in high light easy. Make sure they don't flip over onto sand or they are toast. Some have long sweepers so be aware.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im a complete noob when it comes to favias lol ive kept a ton of different corals just not that ... I have it well shaded theres a 90 watt led above a 10 gallon soo I figured I would need to lol I ordered a little power head to add flow

Ok. Am I understanding that you have no flow right now other than your filtration? If so, that may be your issue. Once you add that new powerhead that will probably help a lot. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquariumNut-Josh

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some just not sure its enough. I put a hob filter ment for a 75 gallon on a 10 gallon hoping for good flow

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back