What would you do??

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, almost done breaking down my 150 to take a break for a little bit. Over the next couple months I wanna plan out the new look of my tank. Its so cluttered and my sump area is horrific. The plumbing is an issue as well. Its a Marineland 150 dual corner overflow for a visual.

I'm looking to get ideas on if this was YOUR tank, how would you go about your sump area? And how would you run your plumbing?

As of right now I have both corners draining into one side of the sump(which in fact reduces flow going to one side since the pump is closer to one side). I do have 2 filter sock holders but only 1 is in use do to space issues. My sump is a 40B with baffles glued in. Should I consider a custom sump? What would you do?

I plan on getting an Apex down the road as well so maybe tell me your idea of how you would mount everything? I want this to look as neat as possible!

Please any and all ideas are appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, almost done breaking down my 150 to take a break for a little bit. Over the next couple months I wanna plan out the new look of my tank. Its so cluttered and my sump area is horrific. The plumbing is an issue as well. Its a Marineland 150 dual corner overflow for a visual.

I'm looking to get ideas on if this was YOUR tank, how would you go about your sump area? And how would you run your plumbing?

As of right now I have both corners draining into one side of the sump(which in fact reduces flow going to one side since the pump is closer to one side). I do have 2 filter sock holders but only 1 is in use do to space issues. My sump is a 40B with baffles glued in. Should I consider a custom sump? What would you do?

I plan on getting an Apex down the road as well so maybe tell me your idea of how you would mount everything? I want this to look as neat as possible!

Please any and all ideas are appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!

Custom sumps are the way to go my tank is a 110 gal with 40g sump custom I run hard plumming (PVC) drilled my tank in the back looks super clean I have a apex omg is a life saver!!! (I left my house for a week and my parents took care of my tank one day my mom called and told me my protein skimmer top fell off so I turn off the skimmer from my phone had her put it all back together and I turned it back on also it's good for my refugium I can turn off and on the lights from my phone) also I mount all my wired and cords to the back of my stand for a clean front look.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411320028.219812.jpg

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a 210 (( tank is coming Friday )), and went with an Elite Aquatics sump, which will utilize both overflows (( plan on using an Herbie overflow for both, with the return going over the back )). The way I have planned things out in my head, it should be a lot neater than any other of my tanks. Now, if it ends up working that way is a different question.

The build thread,
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/large-aquariums-180g/170406-trexs-new-210-a.html

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom sumps are the way to go my tank is a 110 gal with 40g sump custom I run hard plumming (PVC) drilled my tank in the back looks super clean I have a apex omg is a life saver!!! (I left my house for a week and my parents took care of my tank one day my mom called and told me my protein skimmer top fell off so I turn off the skimmer from my phone had her put it all back together and I turned it back on also it's good for my refugium I can turn off and on the lights from my phone) also I mount all my wired and cords to the back of my stand for a clean front look.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411320028.219812.jpg

I may look into mounting wires to the stand. At least the permanent ones. That does scare me tho bc what if my return pump goes out on me and I gotta buy a new one. Then I'll have to try and rip it off the back of the stand while my tank is running Lol then I can't set the new one up the right way lol

I am in the process of setting up a 210 (( tank is coming Friday )), and went with an Elite Aquatics sump, which will utilize both overflows (( plan on using an Herbie overflow for both, with the return going over the back )). The way I have planned things out in my head, it should be a lot neater than any other of my tanks. Now, if it ends up working that way is a different question.

The build thread,
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/large-aquariums-180g/170406-trexs-new-210-a.html

Thanks, I'll look into Elite Aquatics and your thread!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have two drains coming into my sump/refugium. I have a 40 B sump where the drains are in opposite rear corners. On the right side it simply drains into the refugium. On the left side if first goes through a sock and my skimmer is also in that section. The center of the sump is the return pump (and a biopellet reactor).

acd69baa-cf63-4ea0-8a0c-4d921b6148c3_zps53624d6a.jpg

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm thinking, have the return pump in the middle and have each drain come from each side, thanks for the picture Paul!

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may look into mounting wires to the stand. At least the permanent ones. That does scare me tho bc what if my return pump goes out on me and I gotta buy a new one. Then I'll have to try and rip it off the back of the stand while my tank is running Lol then I can't set the new one up the right way lol

Thanks, I'll look into Elite Aquatics and your thread!

When you mount the wired just use the clip holds so you can pop them off and on when need be.

Back