Watchman Goby and clean water

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a tiger watchman goby and pistol shrimp for my 40B. Probably my favorite fish and it's only been a week. Such a great personality.

Anyway, they obviously stirred up a lot of stuff when they were added. They dug three burrows before settling on what seems to be their permanent home.

I had a bit of film algae on the sand before adding them. It's now entirely gone without a trace. There was also an instant explosion in polyp extension on my hammers, frogspawn and torches. My clam also got super happy. I run a pretty clean tank and my initial thought was that they stirred up a lot of nutrients that were in the sand bed and the corals feasted.

The only issue I have now is that there is a fairly constant suspension of particles suspended in the water column from the goby sifting all day.

I have filter socks on my drain to the sump and around my return pump. I run phosban and chemi pure in a reactor, a skimmer, and purigen in a bag in the baffles. My water is normally pristine

Is this going to be par for the course or will the fine particles eventually all get filtered out once 'Diggy' has had his way with the place for a few more weeks? Any tips or suggestions that may help?

There's no way I'm getting rid of them because my wife and I just love them, but I do miss my water clarity.

Oh and if it matters, my return pump is a sicce 3.0 and I have a wp-25 and a wp-10 in the display. Healthy flow, but no SPS, so nothing crazy.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gobies will continue to dig because that is what they do but I would imagine that eventually all of the stored up stuff will filter out via your filter socks. For more clarity, you could run some carbon but that will not eliminate the larger particulate matter.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back