A Few Questions

HarlemsYandel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well how many people clean their rocks with a tooth brush?...how many of y'all brush thru the sand from time to time and reorganize the rocks?...I'm starting now to pull out the worms is that a good idea their brisle worms I think I spelled that wrong please let me know!

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just blow rocks off with powerhead from time to time. Lots of people clean sand when doing water change also but I never clean my sand I let the critters do that. I also don't remove bristle worms unless they get large.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally blow off the rocks with a turkey baster. I clean the sand bed every week when I do a water change (the parts that I can reach at least).

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blow off my rocks once ina great while. I don't stir up the sand bed at all. Enough small snails will get the hidden stuff for you.

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I blow off the rocks with a turkey baster. But I never touch the sand bed. That is the CuC job.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i blow the rocks before a wc but i dont mess with the sand either, and some people actually buy bristles to "turnover" their sand bed

OP
OP
HarlemsYandel

HarlemsYandel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a huge bristle worm that I should of got rid of n thru him back in...so now I'm trying to look for them but I have tiny ones but they mostly hang out in the rocks :( but yeah idk if this is a good idea but I use a tooth brush n clean off the rocks I do it lightly just to get off whatever is on it as far as the sand I brush thru it once in a blue...still trying to get the hang of this salt water stuff this is one work I found moving the rocks
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413481574.835738.jpg

Think he died though :(

Karen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't clean the sand bed but I do move the rocks every few weeks. I also don't bother cleaning the rocks with a toothbrush or anything like that.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as stated if they get big enough, try to fish em out but BE CAREFUL bristle worms can look alot like those fire worm things and the fire ones can sting you something fierce.

fireworm10.jpg

this is a fire worm and if you spot anything like this, do not touch it, but take it out!
each of the tiny 'bristles' you see on this guy are like tiny hairs of fiberglass, and extremely painful

Last edited:

RBauer813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkey Baster before water changes, can also blow lightly on the sand in corners that dont get much flow. But never stir up deeper parts of the sand bed.

SeattleReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tooth brush on rock. My local public aquarium brushes the rock . Skuba gear and brushes. I've had No negatives doing it. I don't mess with sand.

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Toothbrush but only if something was there like algae/green cyano or something.. but not normally.

Before a water change I turn up the vortechs full blast and go around with powerhead to stir up the detritus.
Sometimes I just powerhead in between water changes.

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to stir everything up before a water change (turkey baster bare bottom and rocks). If I have some sort of algae breakout i'll use the toothbrush. I've got no problems with a few bristleworms, its the other creepy worms that need to be removed.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a toothbrush to clean my pumps/powerheads during routine maintenance, generally use a turkey baster to blow off the rocks weekly

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back