Who else loves rock?

PostShawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go into my LFS and I'm always wondering what kind of goodies they have in their Live Rock bins. I don't know why but I like the live rock almost as much as the rest of the inhabitants in the tank. I like the different shapes and caves in some of them. For some reason I'm fascinated with the different stuff growing on them. I've gotten sponges and mushrooms in mine in the past. I always wish I had more room or was setting up another tank just to play with more live rock. Even dry rock sometimes you just look at it and see the potential in an aquascape. Does anyone else get excited about rock?

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not alone. I am cycling my tank right now and I swear I stare at that thing for hours a day. I really enjoy the art behind the rock and all of the chemistry that is taking place within it!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I first set up my reef tank, wild Florida live rock as still available. I got several boxes from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and it was incredible the things that were on the rock or down in the bottom of the box.

There were tons of brittle stars, a few tiny corals, a epicystis crucifer anemone, sponges, mussels, and loads of other stuff I don't even remember. Not all of it lived long term, but it was very interesting.

Far more interesting than some of the "live rock" that comes from the Pacific Islands.

OP
OP
PostShawn

PostShawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about the Brittle stars. I've gotten tons of them. I think most people do. That's one of the cool things you can actually see at the store sometimes, those little arms area always sticking out. I've also gotten a few cucumbers which I thought was cool too. I've never gotten any good anemones, just Aiptasia. I also see tons of those little fans in the white tubes. I've been fortunate to not get any fish killers but I have had my share of Aiptasia in the past but seems to be doing good now. I also have some asterina starfish that I have to figure out how to get rid of or control now that I've started in some basic corals.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like rock too :) I wish I could look at it and see different configurations though - I suck at aquascaping :(

Bombertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the microfauna in a nano is always entertaining. So much going on, you really appriciate the smaller things when going from a large tank to nano.

Big Wave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love dry rock! I like to epoxy it into cantilevered designs and such. You can work on it for weeks without worrying about keeping it "alive."

I've been looking for a large branch of coral skeleton, like four feet. My boyfriend was a sculpture major in college, and we could totally make a mold to cast replicas in ceramic. A tank where the hardscape was just one giant branch would be killer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back