Preventing Aiptasia from frags

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R, I have a minor predicament.

I went to reef-a-palooza, and bought a ton of coral, but I noticed some booths had aiptasia that I had purchased from. Although I thoroughly inspected each frag and couldn't find one, I still worry. How can I ABSOLUTELY make sure any aiptasia cells are eradicated ? I have coral Rx, I'm also going to put them in a separate tank for a few weeks just to be sure.

What do you guys recommend ?
Have you ever had any frags that seemed to have no aiptasia, but then it started popping up ?

Tell me :D

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia aren't so bad and can be easily dealt with. Nudibranchs, red bugs and aefw are far worse. Only way to keep aptasia out is to QT your corals and inspect

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always replug the frags, but I've had aips come in on the skeletons of a Duncan or was so small I didn't see them for months. Had another come in the middle of a Goni.

They are easy enough to deal with if you stay on top of them. I've had my tank going on its 3rd year and have had maybe 5 make it into my dt and quickly dealt with them without further issue.

OP
OP
AquariGod

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, that really relieves some stress guys.. my aquascape is very open so it wouldn't be so hard to locate them anyways.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aqua scape is not so easy to deal with. I had one come on a liveaquaria maricultured colony of zoos, obviously didn't see until too late. I have one I ccan't get to with a needle on some rock work I been trying to cover it with epoxy but it just pops up off to the side every time I cover it. Now I just located 2 more on some rocks far back in the tank where I can't get to. Prior to that I haven't had any aptaisia for about 2 years. Going to have to hope for peppermint shrimp, or maybe a copperband if all else fails.

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard berghia nudibranchs work exceptionally

The issue is that they'll starve if they don't have aiptasia. Some reef clubs have berghia that they loan out, and actually cultivate aiptasia for the interim.

I'd recommend a peppermint shrimp or two. You just have to make sure you get the right species (I forget which is the correct one off the top of my head, but Google will find it).

I'd bet Bayer dips would probably work as well, but I'm not sure.

As a side note, I also used Coral Rx, but switched to Bayer. It's easier on the corals (especially deepwater), better for killing pests, and much cheaper.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to Choff. I remove my frags from the plugs, dip the coral in a bayer insecticide/water mixture, sometimes I do a Revive or Iodine dip afterwards, then I super glue over any areas of dead bone on/around the coral that look like they could be harboring pests. I then remount the plugs and put them in the tank. Encrusted acros that are susceptible to AEFW get their bases chopped and thrown out (I'd rather lose one coral than all of my corals).

Just get a peppermint and don't stress over it. They are relatively easy to control

I haven't heard many successful stories of peppermint shrimp controlling aptasia.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I gather, the real peppermints generally do not go after corals, but the camelbacks, so often confused with peppermints, will. Sometimes both of these shrimp will steal food from corals, though.
Sometimes the peppermints won't eat the aiptasia, especially the bigger nems of your infestation. Berghia are more expensive, but a better bet, because that is their exclusive diet and they can squeeze into holes the peppermints can't.

I do not bother with aiptasia-x or the like anymore. Some people get it to work, but my hands shake too much and make the aiptasia close up. :/

It will be a few months minimum, but if you still have the problem when my berghia reproduce, I would be happy to send you some assuming I have the cash for shipping. I'll have to pass them on or sell them when my infestation is gone anyway.

Last edited:

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard many successful stories of peppermint shrimp controlling aptasia.
That's all I've ever used. They work great for me. I treat bigger ones with aptasia control (I started with Joe's juice, then aptasia x, now aptasia control) then let the peppermints get the spores and tiny ones. I've had aptasia outbreaks a number of times and this method always worked for me.

From what I gather, the real peppermints generally do not go after corals, but the camelbacks, so often confused with peppermints, will. Sometimes both of these shrimp will steal food from corals, though.
Sometimes the peppermints won't eat the aiptasia, especially the bigger nems of your infestation. Berghia are more expensive, but a better bet, because that is their exclusive diet and they can squeeze into holes the peppermints can't.

I do not bother with aiptasia-x or the like anymore. Some people get it to work, but my hands shake too much and make the aiptasia close up. :/

It will be a few months minimum, but if you still have the problem when my berghia reproduce, I would be happy to send you some assuming I have the cash for shipping. I'll have to pass them on or sell them when my infestation is gone anyway.
I think you have it reversed. The camels steal food, cause trouble, and don't touch the aptasia. Peppermints will eat small aptasia. The big ones have to be removed manually.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all I've ever used. They work great for me. I treat bigger ones with aptasia control (I started with Joe's juice, then aptasia x, now aptasia control) then let the peppermints get the spores and tiny ones. I've had aptasia outbreaks a number of times and this method always worked for me.

I think you have it reversed. The camels steal food, cause trouble, and don't touch the aptasia. Peppermints will eat small aptasia. The big ones have to be removed manually.
That's...what I meant to say...though my peppermint way back when I had one was a food thief XD

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always replug the frags, but I've had aips come in on the skeletons of a Duncan or was so small I didn't see them for months. Had another come in the middle of a Goni.

They are easy enough to deal with if you stay on top of them. I've had my tank going on its 3rd year and have had maybe 5 make it into my dt and quickly dealt with them without further issue.
how did you deal with them? im starting a new system as my old system is infested. i want to transfer over some corals like my blasto and acan but im sure there will be some trace of aiptasia on them no matter what. i was thinking that i would just use f-aiptasia in the new setup to keep them at bay when the time comes.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 145 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back