Refugiums... where to start?

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to the community and I have only been in the fish game for about 8 months. I have been looking into research on how to get a good refugium going, and nothing seems to help. Im the type of guy that needs step by step tutorials, so any details that anyone could offer would be awesome. I saw this refugium on bulk reef supply from Aquafuge that is a full on set up... I would be planning on installing it in my sump to avoid light entering the tank at night... Any better suggestions? It seems so confusing at this point!

-Eric

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, you can have sand or no sand, rock or no rock. Then you chose what algae/plants you want. Fwiw my fuge has all of the above. It works for me but a lot of people only have cheato in theirs. A good cfl "spiral" bulb and cheap clip on light running opposite of your dt light up to 18hours is a good start in that department.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416782215980.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416782215980.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
T

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a decent start. But how do you keep it up? when and how do you start to get amphi and copepods? Do they just start to populate your tank, or do you have to physically take them out of the fuge to dose up your tank?

Sorry for all the questions, I just like to have all my bases covered so I can just dive in when Im ready!

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some to my system from a buddy's established system and they just ride the pipes to the dt. When I pull out cheato when it's growing out of the fuge I take the handful and stick it in my dt in front of a ph to blow out any good stuff before I toss it

erictorres0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, you can have sand or no sand, rock or no rock. Then you chose what algae/plants you want. Fwiw my fuge has all of the above. It works for me but a lot of people only have cheato in theirs. A good cfl "spiral" bulb and cheap clip on light running opposite of your dt light up to 18hours is a good start in that department.

Where do you have your return doesn't get clogged up ?

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return is on left with a make shift standpipe. Never clogs. Rocks keep cheato from getting to drain pipe.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416784890976.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416784890976.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what this tank was. Someone gave it to me years back found a use for it finally.

OP
OP
T

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to go for a little more economic approach! I was thinking something like a hang on back refugium that can hang in the sump...I wondered if anyone did that sort of thing... but all info is helpful... maybe one day... lol

erictorres0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the hang on back, work if you have the space for them ....

The one I got from advance acrylic I am limited in space since its a corner tank
image.jpg

image.jpg

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen never used one. In theory it should work just fine. If I remember correctly you can get one with s pump lights and all. All you would need is the good stuff for inside

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back