Odd question about curing dry rock.

RRaquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys sorry but this will be a long read thanks for any help you can give.
So I have a new 125 gallon reef tank I'm working on setting it up and have a handle on most of it but after doing some reading I'm a little worried about the pukoni and reef saver dry rock I purchased from Bulk Reef Supply leeching phosphates and feeding an algae outbreak. I previously used the same dry rock in my small 25 gallon tank and have been fighting algae like crazy which I assumed was for another reason but now I'm thinking it might be the rock. I really don't want to fight the same algae in this new tank.
So my plan up until this point had been to get the dry rock in the tank and glue them all in which I did already then put in the sand which I did and then fill it up and cycle the whole thing I haven't filled the tank yet. Now I can't really take the rocks back out and do any of the things I've read about curing the rock to remove phosphates because there all glued in and set up with the sand in.
So my main question is there any way to remove the phosphates with the rocks being in the tank? Or do I just need to get an epic cleaning crew and hope between them manually removing algae and my refugium it will eventually all get used up and eventually I will be past this annoyance?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's a very good question. It has been brought up numerous time. Even BRS states that the rock will have dead organics on it and that it needs to be cured. Since you have it in the tank already and cannot cure it outside of the tank,my suggestion would be to cure it right where it sits. Do an almost total water change after you get your cycle completed. Another suggestion I recommend is to run GFO on the tank after several weeks of curing.

OP
OP
R

RRaquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so that brings me to a new question then since I've never had a large tank and I've never used a GFO reactor how do I use one? And what is the best type to get?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to consider is that the phosphate comments might be an over reaction by some people. I would get a phosphate testing kit. I use the Red Sea Algae Control Pro Test Kit and I like it.
You can always get a GFO reactor later if it really is a problem. I use a GFO reactor I got from BRS because I do feed heavily, but I don't use it all the time. There are several other ways to reduce phosphate in a tank: carbon dosing and skimming, Phosphate RX are a couple. I'd suggest that you see if you have that problem first.

OP
OP
R

RRaquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since I do see it being a bit of a problem and I may one day end up heavily stocked and feeding a lot I don't really see a down side to it especially since BRS is having there Black Friday sale so might as well take advantage of it.
Thanks for the input :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back