I need advice please my tank is not happy

Diazreeflife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 months ago I switched from MH to LED. My existing light was 2 250 MH with 2 T5 for actinic. I kept the T5 running with the new LED.

The LED LIGHTING I went with Reef Radiance-165E which are amazing. The problem is my coral have not been the same since switching over. At first I set them up at 100% actinics 60% white from 11:30am to 8pm blues start 10am-9pm. Ramp time for both white and blue is 30 minutes.

After seeing my coral start looking like crap I asked what I should do on another post and was advices to drop the percentage of the white 20% and blue 50%. Coral looks a little better but my favia's and other Lps located lower in the tank are not looking ever good and starting to die.

As a side note my perimeters are perfect. What should I do?

Thank u
David

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the other post mention that you should drop the % for a while then slow ramp them up so the corals get used to the LEDs?

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my led's blue 80% for 7 hours a day and 20% whites for 2 hours a day. I ramped the blues up from 50% to 80% in 5% increments every month.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyones tank is different. With the addition of LEDs you shocked your corals, believe it or not, LEDs are stronger than the Halides you were using. You may bring down the lights to 30% each, then slowly after a week or so bring it up 10% with the blues and 5% with the whites. The coloring you will need to tinker with once you've acclimated your corals.

OP
OP
Diazreeflife

Diazreeflife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyones tank is different. With the addition of LEDs you shocked your corals, believe it or not, LEDs are stronger than the Halides you were using. You may bring down the lights to 30% each, then slowly after a week or so bring it up 10% with the blues and 5% with the whites. The coloring you will need to tinker with once you've acclimated your corals.

Ok considering what everyone is say what changes should I make to my current setting? Keep in mind I have had my existing setting for about a month. Also should I even run my T5's?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just ramp them by about 1-2% each week. Maybe put a post in the lighting section to see what others with the same light are runnign theirs at and that'll give you an idea what to shoot for based on how your corals are responding.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people run t5 and led combos or even t5, led, MH combos. Really you just have to tinker with the settings to find what makes your coral happy.
The reason I run my whites for 2 hours and blues for 7 hours is because I saw another tank that looked really nice running the same program. I seem to get less algae and better calcification with this program. When I first put the led's on the tank I bleached some coral. Just take your time with adjustments.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my RR Pro180 different unit, same diodes, for 5 months onna 40B. All LPS, 1 SPS and a couple a zoas. Just today I upped my whites to 15%max and blues 50% max. If I go anywhere past 20% max on the whites my LPS freak, looking all faded like.
I haven't lost a coral yet :) Getting awesome growth and color! Wrap your head around the fact that these lights are strong, no matter what your eyes are telling you. Start them low and be patient.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417161205.344326.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417161227.063135.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417161245.531642.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417161271.132944.jpg

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With led's light brightness has nothing to do with par. This is a big thing to remember with led. Led light is waaaay more focused. This is why you can get by with a lower percentage of white light.

OP
OP
Diazreeflife

Diazreeflife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my RR Pro180 different unit, same diodes, for 5 months onna 40B. All LPS, 1 SPS and a couple a zoas. Just today I upped my whites to 15%max and blues 50% max. If I go anywhere past 20% max on the whites my LPS freak, looking all faded like.
I haven't lost a coral yet :) Getting awesome growth and color! Wrap your head around the fact that these lights are strong, no matter what your eyes are telling you. Start them low and be patient.

Can u tell me your lighting schedule for your whites and blues? Also What are your daily ramps times?

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darlin your asking a lot! Especially since they ramp up/down every 10min-lol. I pretty much run them with a 4:1ratio. Meaning for every 4% blues I run 1% whites. I max out at 50% blues and 15% whites. Not exactly sure the ratio but I love the look and my coral are doing well so far. They also were doing great at 10% whites and 45% blues. I only upped them a bit in hopes of gaining more color in my Birds Nest. We'll see :)
As for schedule...blues on at 9am @1% ramp up/down to 50% off at 7pm
Whites on at 9:30am at 1% ramp up/down to 15% off at 3pm
Lunars on at 7pm 20% ramp down and off at 9pm.

http://williamwulfken.com/wp-wwulfken/uploads/2014/04/Lumentek-Intensity-Program.xlsx

OP
OP
Diazreeflife

Diazreeflife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darlin your asking a lot! Especially since they ramp up/down every 10min-lol. I pretty much run them with a 4:1ratio. Meaning for every 4% blues I run 1% whites. I max out at 50% blues and 15% whites. Not exactly sure the ratio but I love the look and my coral are doing well so far. They also were doing great at 10% whites and 45% blues. I only upped them a bit in hopes of gaining more color in my Birds Nest. We'll see :)
As for schedule...blues on at 9am @1% ramp up/down to 50% off at 7pm
Whites on at 9:30am at 1% ramp up/down to 15% off at 3pm
Lunars on at 7pm 20% ramp down and off at 9pm.

http://williamwulfken.com/wp-wwulfken/uploads/2014/04/Lumentek-Intensity-Program.xlsx

Thank you so much!!

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thks for the schedule, works perfect with my corals in increments each Hour/12 hrs a day!!!!!

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you can do now is just give it time to acclimate, that can take weeks to months so be patient.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is my 2 cents. I used mh for a long time and now use both led and mh. Currently I have 1tank using led and one using mh. I often take coral from one and put in the other. In my experience I have not had corals have much of an issue with this. Now, reef radiance and reef breeders are some wicked powerful lights and a reefer friend of mine has had similar issues to those you are describing. My question for you would be have u changed anything else? Have you disturbed the sb? My friends tank took a long time to adjust and it still struggles to grow Lps. But I have a different friend who grows everything like weeds under s reef breeder. The hard part for you is that once you have shocked the corals, even if you lower the lighting, it will take months for them to look ok again even if the new lighting is just fine.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I have lps that don't seem to be responding well to leds I try to put them under a overhang or something. I have a couple pieces that grow like weeds in what seems to be complete shade toy eyes! Lol
I have a Sps dominant tank so I have my Radions turned up. They peak at 80% but my whites only have a set peak of 50%....
There's always going to be some corals that don't like any changing of lighting in captivity. Most of the time they'll bounce back over time......

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I have lps that don't seem to be responding well to leds I try to put them under a overhang or something. I have a couple pieces that grow like weeds in what seems to be complete shade toy eyes! Lol
I have a Sps dominant tank so I have my Radions turned up. They peak at 80% but my whites only have a set peak of 50%....
There's always going to be some corals that don't like any changing of lighting in captivity. Most of the time they'll bounce back over time......
Good to know ty I'm geting some my self

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back