HW-Marinemix Reefer salt mix

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use this salt mix? I'm seriously thinking of trying it since it matches my tank parameters much better than my present salt. I like to keep my Alk around 8.5 but every water change bumps it up quite a bit with my Reef Crystals (dKh around 11 for me). The Marinemix Reefer claims an Alk of 9.0 according to BRS.

Is this a reasonable thing to do?

paddling oar's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 1/4 a box into hw marinemix, I switched because of the same issue which is that reef crystals alk mixes to high and I started carbon dosing. I was having to considerably drop my alk dosing almost to the point where I was dosing twice as much cal than alk. After a few months I have finally got it steady at 8 and dosing equal parts of alk to cal. So far corals are loving it and I am very pleased with this salt.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm into my 4th box of this stuff...switched from Red Sea Coral Pro to Red Sea Salt (to bring parameters closer to natural sea water), then switched to the Marinemix Reefer Salt and I've been pleased with the results. Aside from the positive results in my tank, I really like how fast this stuff mixes and I don't have to worry as much about precipitation as I did with the Red Sea salts.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm into my 4th box of this stuff...switched from Red Sea Coral Pro to Red Sea Salt (to bring parameters closer to natural sea water), then switched to the Marinemix Reefer Salt and I've been pleased with the results. Aside from the positive results in my tank, I really like how fast this stuff mixes and I don't have to worry as much about precipitation as I did with the Red Sea salts.
hey man, are you still using the HW marine mix? I'm about to switch over from red sea coral pro as well, sick of the ALK and PH swings... just wanted to know if you had any surprises when you made the switch

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also using this salt . And love it ! Switched from reef crystals because of alk swings . Trying to stay around 9 and the reef crystals is just to high.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also using this salt . And love it ! Switched from reef crystals because of alk swings . Trying to stay around 9 and the reef crystals is just to high.
Are you dosing anything? I just did my first batch, 10g outta 120... So I have a few weeks before its solely HW. But the tests were good when I tested the mix. Mag-1300 Cal- 400 Alk- 8.1

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still does my brs 2 part to keep things in line but my testing results are pretty much the same . The mag is usually low so I dose the new water before it ever reaches the tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back