Generator or power backup?

tidus10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's power backup solutions? I've been thinking a generator would be nice but would like to know what others are doing.

I really am interested in just running my Reefkeeper, which runs my heater, return pump and a powerhead.. enough to keep the tank going incase my upstate ny winter happens to be just that.. any ideas on how big of one I need or should get? Any help would be great!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I have more than a few tanks (reef junky, yes I am) so my systems needs are demanding to say the least. The main DT has two UPSs for the powerheads and a ups for the Neptune system controller, my ISPs modem has a backup UPS built in so I get notifications when the power goes out. My wife's 20-gallon nano has two UPS that piggy back of each other (this was more for space requirements). I like UPSs for momentary power hick-ups but have a generator with a Protran Generator Transfer Switch Kit (10 Circuits) that I have to manually connect the generator to for the longer power outages.

shopping

Last edited:

Gregster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two.
I have a vortech backup connected to one of my 2 mp40.
I also have a marine deep cycle battery(Costco) and a power birght 1100 Watt power inverter, along with a charger to keep the battery fully charged

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine 210 has the Vortech battery back up. In addition I have a generator in the garage to allow me to run both tanks and a few other items if needed.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small generator but it is just for a return pump and heater... Heaters do not run well off battery backups as they detect it as a failure and shut down. The battery backups work great for pumps and powerheads though for a short duration...

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4000watt generator, we used this past Friday. The power was out for almost 24 hours. We ran the 210g tank, 2-24g AIO, one with a chiller and 2-28g AIOs. We ran TVs in two rooms, one with xBox One, which was on the whole time. Plugged things in periodically, throughout the time. Computer.... I was surprised at what it was able to handle, actually. I live in an HOA gated community and everyone was outside hanging out, because there was nothing else to do in the dark. I could hear one of them say "Look, they're watching TV!" and everyone groaned in envy. LOL!

Last edited:

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generator. In the future I plan on installing LP Tank with Generator(24K) with a transfer switch.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a whole house Generac generator that kicks in when our power goes out. Most battery back UPS do not last very long. For the price of a larger UPS you could almost buy a generator that will last as long as the fuel does.
Ours is LP and the tank is about 4 feet tall. Prices on Generac generators really came down this last year and some come with a transfer switch now. But gasoline generators are great also. You can get one in just about every price range
We have had power outages that have lasted over 12 hours.

Last edited:

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house genny was the single best upgrade I made to my house. We have lost power for 3+ days 4 times in the last 3 years.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house genny was the single best upgrade I made to my house. We have lost power for 3+ days 4 times in the last 3 years.
amen to that. if i was keeping this house i would do the same! getting some home plans drawn up and two must haves are whole house gen and tankless water heater!!!

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amen to that. if i was keeping this house i would do the same! getting some home plans drawn up and two must haves are whole house gen and tankless water heater!!!

We went with a superstore water tank vs tankless. Essentially our super HE boiler treats the water tank like a another heating zone. Family of 5 and we can all take steaming hot showers back to back without running out. I also put up a 100' x 40' hockey rink every winter and zamboni with a hot water line and it never seems to run out. Def worth looking into depending on the type of heat you have.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We went with a superstore water tank vs tankless. Essentially our super HE boiler treats the water tank like a another heating zone. Family of 5 and we can all take steaming hot showers back to back without running out. I also put up a 100' x 40' hockey rink every winter and zamboni with a hot water line and it never seems to run out. Def worth looking into depending on the type of heat you have.
nice. thanks for the heads up ill have to do some research on that

Back