10 month reefer here fragging

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a question for you experienced reefers out there I started fragging and talking with my local lfs about so i tell him i have frags im trying to get rid of he says bring them in i want to know if i got ripped off or did he give me a deal i didnt have much yet i took about 15 pieces 1 candy cane coral 7 heads,1 big rock with like 10 rhodactis mushrooms white,several smaller frags with zoanthids and palys with the smallest no less than 5 heads and the most about 15 heads,3 flower pot corals the biggest frag having like 20 heads and smallest about 8 also mushrooms 1 frag with 5 big mushrooms and 2 smaller ones with watermelon coral mushrooms.Hes giving me 50 credit in his store what do you guys think about that???????????
2014-12-20 16.25.03.jpg
2014-12-20 16.24.20.jpg
2014-12-17 00.15.33.jpg
2014-12-17 00.15.06.jpg
2014-12-16 21.58.25.jpg

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, you won't get as much from a LFS on trades than you will selling outright (CL/local forum) but I don't think you got ripped off. The LFS has to mark it up and sell it themselves to their customers, thus making them a middle man. Also, the LFS has bills to pay, employees, insurance, etc. They aren't going to lose money buying these corals, so you're kinda dealing with an "easy" deal but less money vs trying to sell them to locals and charge 5-10$ more. You will deal with a lot of traffic, phone calls, texts, emails, pms, no shows, etc.

No, I don't think you got a bad deal at all. If your LFS will take corals from you, then keep growing them and just take them more!

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this collection, keep fragging!
I've had my tank for two years, I've only sold one anemone :lol:

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS will give you 1/4 to 1/3 of retail as a store credit. If they sell a piece for $30 you will get $10. I try to only bring pieces to my LFS that are big and will draw attention from buyers and this help to keep them happy knowing that whatever I bring them is worth their time to sell. For example, I try to make sure my zoanthid frags have 10+ polyps. My SPS are not a 1" finger tip but an actual mini colony with several growing branches. Leathers and mushrooms should be fully healed and attached to the rock. Zesty said it right, if you want more $$$ for your frags you can sell them to fellow hobbiests. You take the time to e-mail, PM, text, set up times to meet or have a stranger to your house and make the extra money. Either way is a win win situation.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this collection, keep fragging!
I've had my tank for two years, I've only sold one anemone :lol:

The only time I fragged to sell was when my hollywood stunner got too big. Yeah, I buy all these frags with "intent" to sell, but never actually frag them up. I love watching the colonies grow. :becky:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS give 50 Percent Store Credit.

So ask what they are going to sell them for.

If the Frag will sell for 20 then ask 10.

I can tell you got taken to the cleaners though.

Depends on the colors but single Mushroom Polyps at my LFS sell for 10.00 each so if you traded 10 Polyps (on Average 100.00) you should have gotten 50 on that Coral Alone.

So basically they paid you for the Mushroom Rock and ripped you off on everything else because you gave it to them for free.

My LFS Charges 5.00 a Head on Candy Cane so I would have gotten 17.50 from that Coral.

Zoanthids are hard to price because they sell anywhere from a few pennies a polyp to 2,500 a polyp.

Which Zoanthids did you trade in?

Were they Rare or Common?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I fragged to sell was when my hollywood stunner got too big. Yeah, I buy all these frags with "intent" to sell, but never actually frag them up. I love watching the colonies grow. :becky:
I can't wait for my zoa garden to get to the point of "this needs to be fragged NOW"

Back