(dead) live sand, live rock and new tank?

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 120 and I have stored live rock from other tanks in a tub and had it heated with water movement, the sand I let sit in a bucket so its "dead".

I'm filling the tank with new ro/di water and salt.

Once I put the "dead" sand in and fill the tank, Should I put the live rock and start the cycle and run the skimmer or should I just put in the sand a piece of live rock and start the cycle no skimmer?

Another option is to transfer the live rock and existing water from the tank I have up and running, but since the existing water will only fill about half of my new system i will still have to add new water, so it would be like a big water change. If I go this route, should I put the fish and corals in a separate tank until the new tank is ready?

Thanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the skimmer is optional and has no bearing on the cycle. as stated, this rock kept its bacterial loading and only needs to cycle for new calcifying organisms, not the ability to oxidize ammonia. I sure would love a non api ammonia test feedback when the time is right, to test that prediction :)

if I had a skimmer Id always run it, organics are boo and skim or no skim wouldnt affect cycle even if the rock was stored dry and had to build up bacteria again. the nitrifiers dont need light and the organics stored in that rock have fed them. I bet anyway lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back