Red slime remover

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultralife Red Slime Remover

Anyone have experience with this stuff? My tank has been having a small amount of cyano I just can't get to completely go away. My peramiters are solid. I blow it off the rocks and suck it into a sock all the time but just won't die! Lol. Debating on use.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As last resort after trying everything I used it and it worked great. Cyano has not came back now for over 2 months. You need to find the source though but it worked for me without any issues. You might try feeding less and increase water flow that may help.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of flow. Cheato grows like weeds skimmer is great. Nitrates and phosphates barely test with red sea test kits. I think it's just because the tank is only 7 months old. Just tired of messing with it already.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use small diameter tubing and suck it out during a water change. Blowing it around unless last resort to save a coral, will probably make matters worse. You can also try adding some bacteria, to out compete it... for instance a Dr. Tim's product. From what I've read, cyano takes very little nitrate and phosphate to proliferate and spread.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work but you still have phosphates the red slime is just using it as food and that's why you don't see it on your test. Every time I get it's because my rodi filters need changed.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking if I can kill it off my cheato and gfo will get the leftover phosphates.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I discovered as my source/cause, was the GFO media had expired. I had recently changed media types and didn't realize the new media doesn't last as long as the prior media. I had no luck with the syphon vacuum, and as ridiculous as it sounds (yes, you may make fun of me), I ended up using my shop vac and sucked it out of the display. Did it in conjunction with a water change. I used a reducing coupling for the vac hose and ended up with a 1/2" vinyl hose and just skimmed the top surface of the sand. Yes, I took a little sand but once removed, I now keep the media refreshed and the Cyano has yet to return.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I'll give it a while still I was buying Rodi from my lfs up until now and I haven't been very religious with changing my gfo. So..... I'll just give it some more time. Maybe it will rectify it's self.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own water with 0 tds and I tried removing manually ,Increased skimming, reduced feeding, Increased water changes, Increased flow and nothing worked. I finally gave up and used Cyanoclean and that did the trick. Also what lighting are you using and how old are the bulbs?

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using leds. I seen the video on this stuff on brs so I was debating. Gonna give it a bit more time with some good maintenance.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Nana I actually have read that. It's a very small amount that keeps showing up its not a bunch by any means so I'm not freaking out. With that said though I want it gone! Lol. I'll just keep siphoning it out and replace my gfo on a better basis. I also set up my own Rodi station over the weekend so I can guarantee 0 tds water I think the problem will solve itself with time!

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff works great. I used to use it (Im about ready to again, but i'm working on my no3 and po4 and will give it 3 more weeks). If you can figure out a cure without it great. If you just can't take it any more, use it. A little bit showing up here and there is not a big deal. But be warned it could become a big deal quickly. Test no3, po4 and silicates. Also move a power head or 2. you will usually find your answer there. Follow the directions on the box. You will have god results.

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't work -_- I just did a 10 gallon water change today and siphoned out the rest of it and I'll dose the tank again tomorrow evening after I put in my new RW-8's so that it gets dispersed well throughout the tank. Hopefully that'll do the trick!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back