reef tank and hardwood floors

jayjerk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

First I'd like to take the time to thank you all for reading my post and contributing to it your experiences. I have had my reef up I'm my living area for just under 3 years. It has now come time to have my hardwood floors redone.

I am wondering.g if there is a safe way to do so with reef being In the are I need redone. I am ok witht he fact that the area my tank sits on will not get attention because moving my tank is not an option at all.
I've posted this same question locally and not much of a reply. hopefully this turns out better. My main questions are as follows.

A. Has anyone had there floors redone with tank in are of work.

B. How did you protect your tank and live stock.

C. We're there I'll effects.

D. Is water based poly a safer option than oil.

E. Anything else I should know

Thank you all again for the view of the thread and for your experiences

Jerk

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump... anyone?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had all the floors redone with the exception of the fish room. What I did was tent off the fish room with poly film and climbed in and out of a window to take care of the tank.

IMG_4215.jpg

Note that I had oil based urethane used on my floors and the smell was pretty bad.

Without question the waterbase is less smelly and dries quick. I would think that this would be OK next to your tank. I would shut off the skimmer for a couple hours to allow the urethane to dry. Maybe use a fan as well to assist in drying time.

RUGDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done it nor would I ever. I am in the flooring business. Sanding and finishing floors is a mess in a home you are living in tank or not. You will have dust everywhere. I would say with a tank in same room it will be full of dust. Even if you pay big bucks for dustless it is dustLESS not dust free.
Typically the odors are very strong as well. I don't know about toxicity of water vs oil and such but again your problems will start before you get to that stage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back