Help!

sean9_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I've got a problem with my tank and I'm hoping someone can help. I've been in the hobby for about 3 years now and I'm on my second tank. Corals have always thrived in the tank but around a week and a half ago a few corals have started to act a bit funny.

First were my gold torch corals which stopped extending its tentacles. I didn't think much of it at first as corals tend to act funny at times. Then I purchased a new torch colony which was fine and had nice polyp extension for a few days and it's gone and done the same. And I have a hammer and a frogspawn which I've had since the very beginning when I started the hobby. It's not doing as bad as the torches but I can see something is wrong.

I also have 2 beautiful toadstools that have been looking very dull as well. Although I'm less concerned about them as I know they do that at times but I don't know if this is all a coincidence.

Last but not least. My snails have been dropping like flies. I've had 3 snails and a abalone die on my in the last week at the other snails I have are looking weak..turning over now and again which is a problem they've never had.

Anyway, I thought there was something with my water parameters so I did some tests. My first initial thought would be my NO3 levels which I tested and it came to 0.1 which it has always been around.

Then I went on to test calcium, mag, kh, phosphate and ammonia and everything came up to perfect standards.

Now since this started happening. The things I have put in my tank were one of those clay pots that clownfish love and I installed new AI lights (but corals were fine for at least 2 weeks till this happened)

I still have a purple gregorian, 2 trac brain corals, 4 colonies of Xenia, a colt coral, gonipora, sun corals, acan and a button coral that are all still doing great.

All my fish has been fine. I have 8 hermit which are also fine so I am just clueless to what is happening and would like some expert advice. Sorry for the long post but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me.

Thank you.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light change would be my first guess. What lighting were you using before? maybe lock shock if the new light is much more powerful. A few weeks isn't out of the question

OP
OP
S

sean9_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using zetlights. Another thing I noticed is the torches kind of bleached but there's still a noticeable gold in colour... Will they be ok if it's the lights? I've toned the intensity down hoping it'll get better....

OP
OP
S

sean9_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still thinking its not the lights. Its happening to all my euphyllia corals and my toadstools. Both my frogspawns are at the bottom on the tank so the light intensity can't be doing that kind of damage....

lebladp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having this same problem. Parameters check out fine. Idk

sherita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper contamination, or something on the pot? Stray voltage?

I'd take the pot out, and get some polypad to see if the color change might show some kind of contamination.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about the location as much as it is the difference in lighting intensity from the new light fixture and the old one. I am not familiar with the light fixture you replaced but there is surely a difference between those and the new AI's. Also Euphylia in my experience is sensitive to change. I would turn down your lights intensity and work my way back up based on coral response. Also when you say water parameters are normal could you list the numbers specifically? Many people are going to see those to help rule out possibilities.
I'm still thinking its not the lights. Its happening to all my euphyllia corals and my toadstools. Both my frogspawns are at the bottom on the tank so the light intensity can't be doing that kind of damage....

OP
OP
S

sean9_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about the location as much as it is the difference in lighting intensity from the new light fixture and the old one. I am not familiar with the light fixture you replaced but there is surely a difference between those and the new AI's. Also Euphylia in my experience is sensitive to change. I would turn down your lights intensity and work my way back up based on coral response. Also when you say water parameters are normal could you list the numbers specifically? Many people are going to see those to help rule out possibilities.

I thought that could have been the case but it still doesn't solve the mystery of the snails dying on me.

My parameters are:

Salinity 1.024
Dkh 9
Calcium 440
Mag 1300
Phosphate 0.1
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.3

Thanks again for the help.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be my next thoughts if nitrates are low. Some type of contamination. Since your not using carbon I would start.
Copper contamination, or something on the pot? Stray voltage?

I'd take the pot out, and get some polypad to see if the color change might show some kind of contamination.

sherita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snail deaths are what is making me think contamination.The other thing would be high mg, but you tested that already. I'd also test for stray voltage, but my bet is on contamination.........either on the pot, heater failure, cracked epoxy on a pump or powerhead, something leaching in the tank. Are there small children in the house? If so, the "make a wish" penny toss would be a top contender as well.

OP
OP
S

sean9_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I thought I had replied about the copper but it didn't update. So I've tried testing copper and there were no traces. Since then bought a new kit for NO3. Turns out it was pretty high and the old kit probably was expired or something because it showed nothing. Been doing lots of water changes and feeding less the last couple of days. Hopefully it goes down soon. Thanks again for everyone's help

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 57 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back