seanocode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425079362.495073.jpg

This was an hour after I added approx.
20 lbs. of marco course sand. You can see I only did about 1/2 of the tank. Thought a little change would be better than all at once.
Anyway what should I watch out for? Thought somebody might have some experience adding sand to a established system.

OP
OP
seanocode

seanocode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all is good so far. It's been 4 days since I added the sand. Did 25 gallon water change yesterday, and today all tested okay. (0 nitrate)(420 calcium)(8.5 -9 dkh)(8.3 ph)(1025 salinity) Normal results.
Yellow Watchman and Pistol shrimp pair are really busy working on their new addition.

mrukus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see it worked out. Did you end up adding any more or just that first amount? I don't think I added enough when I started and might need one more bag. Keep us all posted.

OP
OP
seanocode

seanocode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see it worked out. Did you end up adding any more or just that first amount? I don't think I added enough when I started and might need one more bag. Keep us all posted.

No I haven't added the other half yet. I am glad I only did half though. My CUC is doing a real good job with the "old side". It left them something to graze on.
I used a 30" long piece of 1" PVC with a female coupling on one end, then threaded a 2 liter pop bottle to the coupling. That way I could pour the sand in the pop bottle and stick the other end in the sand bed and distribute the new sand where I wanted it with minimal cloudiness. I never even turned my main pump off, just my circulation pump for about 15 minutes. Worked like a charm!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back