Additional tank other option

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I posted during the week about adding another tank to put some of my live rock in and maybe get
a smallish tank going to feed my new aquarium habit...
Someone suggested a sump. I was leaning toward that but since I have a paired set of clowns, shouldn't I be considering an aquarium nursery s to speak? Like set up the 10 g add rock and some corals and when my clowns get friendly I can then have a place for the babies!

Or am I delusional in thinking they wills spawn so soon? And is this something I should consider? I think it would be wonderful! just don't know the firs thing about it so Im not sure if this can happen next month or in 3 years. In which case I will running empty 10 g for who knows how long!

Thoughts please?....And my clowns are inseparable! I have tiny orange & white basic nemo and a much larger black & white. They do everything together so the are for sure a couple

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always looking for a excuse to set up another aquarium.I have also had clown fish paired off for years before noticing any eggs.I imagine that they need a real high quality diet of live and frozen foods to get into breeding mode.So I would suggest looking at our fish breeding forum for more information about the subject.

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read a bunch about being clowns and from what I've read be prepared for a long road of frustration and heart ache. To be successful you'd need to set up a couple more types of systems just to produce the food needed for the whole process. I pretty much decided that i don't have the time to commit to it and think I'll probably put those resources to other use. I know there are several good books on the subject and maybe someone can chime in with what the titles are. I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm thinking I'm going to do more of a frag/grow out system. Done right I've seen them look real nice with a few nice fish swimming around. Plus it would be easier to get a return on your investment then trying to breed clowns.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read a bunch about being clowns and from what I've read be prepared for a long road of frustration and heart ache. To be successful you'd need to set up a couple more types of systems just to produce the food needed for the whole process. I pretty much decided that i don't have the time to commit to it and think I'll probably put those resources to other use. I know there are several good books on the subject and maybe someone can chime in with what the titles are. I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm thinking I'm going to do more of a frag/grow out system. Done right I've seen them look real nice with a few nice fish swimming around. Plus it would be easier to get a return on your investment then trying to breed clowns.

Well it's not that I necessarily wanted to raise clowns initially but for some reason someone gave me the impression that if you haven't made it there they're going to lay eggs all the time and is just a matter of pulling them out so they can do their thing so they don't get eaten by other fish or the clowns.. Apparently it's a lot harder than that!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's not that I necessarily wanted to raise clowns initially but for some reason someone gave me the impression that if you haven't made it there they're going to lay eggs all the time and is just a matter of pulling them out so they can do their thing so they don't get eaten by other fish or the clowns.. Apparently it's a lot harder than that!
Yes,I wish it was that easy.I hope to raise saltwater fish,someday.I know I have to master the live foods cultures first.So much to do,so little time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back