Glass or acrylic? Pros and cons?

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with a 75 gallon upgrade. I found a really beautiful 75 gallon clear for life brand uniquarium.
They have a filter built in and I believe room for the skimmer in the back as well it's crystal-clear and quite beautiful looking. Acrylic is also more durable from what I understand as well as clearer and lighter..
Right now i use a razor blade to scrape off very hard brown algae (diatoms?) on my back glass. A single edge razor blade is the only thing that even comes close to getting it off...
I know you can't do that with acrylic. Is that the only reason why I should not get an acrylic tank?
Pros and cons would be appreciated,

Thanks everyone,
Judith

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank, I would avoid acrylic at all costs.

May I ask why you suggested this? Not exactly sure why tank size matters for what material to use to make it.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask why you suggested this? Not exactly sure why tank size matters for what material to use to make it.

Because a 75 gallon is cheap enough to get glass and doesn't way that much. Most people do acrylic for bigger tanks because it's more durable anD lighter then glass. As soon as you fill an acrylic tank with sand, you can almost guarantee scratches. In the long run you'll kick yourself for not waiting.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because a 75 gallon is cheap enough to get glass and doesn't way that much. Most people do acrylic for bigger tanks because it's more durable anD lighter then glass. As soon as you fill an acrylic tank with sand, you can almost guarantee scratches. In the long run you'll kick yourself for not waiting.

Do you know from experience that the sand will scratch the tank because that's enough to turn me off!
I figured no more razor blades on the wall to scratch off hard deposits and of course I would need to be careful adding the rock. But the sand will scratch it that easily? I don't think I want it... Whole point of the acrylic tank for me was the clarity I will be really upset if it scratched and will kick myself like you said..

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, it does scratch the glass. Known fact, that usually withi 8-10 years of use, the tank has to be buffed out, usually getting the unsightly scratches in it becomes to much for the owner.
It does, and it will happen.
Go glass, but use Starfire glass on front and sides.
I've buffed out acrylic tanks before, not a great chore to do, knowning your fish and equipment are in the bathtub until the tank is comepleted.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 acrylic tanks in the past. Will never do it again.
One was a 375G and the other was a 325G. They both were very difficult to get clean and they pulled apart.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, it does scratch the glass. Known fact, that usually withi 8-10 years of use, the tank has to be buffed out, usually getting the unsightly scratches in it becomes to much for the owner.
It does, and it will happen.
Go glass, but use Starfire glass on front and sides.
I've buffed out acrylic tanks before, not a great chore to do, knowning your fish and equipment are in the bathtub until the tank is comepleted.

Okay I've heard enough!
It's a no-brainer for me now. I really didn't know the negatives of acrylic I've only heard the positives. But I'm really particular about the glass looking clean so if there is a scratch on it it's going to drive me crazy glass it is!
Thank you very much for speaking up!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But also keep in mind star fire glass is softer than standard glass so it scratches fairly easy as well. Not as easy as acrylic but it will scratch too none the less.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an acrylic 125 by clarity plus for fifteen years. I do have a couple minor scratches. With that being said I use plastic scrapers and I put dobie pads on my magnets. They work well and no scratches. I also do not clean into the sand. I stay just above it. I'm pretty sure a dobie pad would work well with star fire.

If I was doing it again I would do star fire.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But also keep in mind star fire glass is softer than standard glass so it scratches fairly easy as well. Not as easy as acrylic but it will scratch too none the less.

Thanks! I will now avoid that as well... I am hoping I can get a rimless glass tank that will hold up!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not throw Starfire Glass so easily, its not going to scratch nearly as easily as acrylic, and its almost as clear as acrylic. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back