What RODI filters do you use? Are they all created equally?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm about to need to replace my RODI filters and am wondering what is best to use? Until now, I've just figured whatever is available from BRS or Drsfosterandsmith is fine. Are all brands pretty standard? What should I be looking for to be sure I get the best filtration possible?

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they are not all alike. Look for a low micron sediment filter and near absolute or absolute rated is better than nominal rated. I recommend nothing larger than 1 microns near absolute and use a 0.5, 0.3 or 0.2 micron size in my personal systems so it protects the billions of tiny microscopic pores in the 0.5 or 0.6 micron carbon block where chlorine is adsorbed. Many vendors use sizes like 5 and 10 microns which really are about as effective as a screen door when you consider you can see 40 microns with the unaided human eye.
Places like Spectrapure and Buckeye Hydro sell the above and have decades of experience in RO treatment.

At the same time you replace the sediment can carbon block filters make sure you disinfect your system and flush each filter one at a time before installing the next when installing the new eplacements so you get the antimicrobials, glues and binders and carbon dust flushed out so they don't foul the next filter downstream.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome info. Thanks! You mention disinfecting the filters. How do you do that? Also, I'm not sure how to flush the filters individually. I have a Vertex Alpha 200gpd system. I was planning to swap out the filters and then flush the system. Is that a bad idea?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a search on any of the reef forums using my username and RO disinfection or filter replacement you will come up with hundreds of threads which explain them both in great detail.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my RODI setup from MelevsReef and I try to buy my replacement filters from Marc. I put a lot of value in the fact that he is a reefer like us, and researches his methods very well. I do not believe that Marc would steer one of us the wrong way.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure has reef tanks in all their offices and showroom. They also supply all the major LFS around the country and have over 25 years of reefing experience. Find an old copy of FAMA magazine and you will see their reef ads from decades ago.

Marc is also a great resource and has many good articles to help new reefers get started.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only picky on the RO membrane and prefer Filmtec ones to others I've tried. +1 on going with the smallest sediment filter you can get, if these tend to clog fast depending on yuor tap water, then it makes sense to start with a 5 Micron and follow up with a 1 micron sediment filter.

mrjlopez731

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they are not all alike. Look for a low micron sediment filter and near absolute or absolute rated is better than nominal rated. I recommend nothing larger than 1 microns near absolute and use a 0.5, 0.3 or 0.2 micron size in my personal systems so it protects the billions of tiny microscopic pores in the 0.5 or 0.6 micron carbon block where chlorine is adsorbed. Many vendors use sizes like 5 and 10 microns which really are about as effective as a screen door when you consider you can see 40 microns with the unaided human eye.
Places like Spectrapure and Buckeye Hydro sell the above and have decades of experience in RO treatment.

At the same time you replace the sediment can carbon block filters make sure you disinfect your system and flush each filter one at a time before installing the next when installing the new eplacements so you get the antimicrobials, glues and binders and carbon dust flushed out so they don't foul the next filter downstream.

No better way to explain it, like you have already. I now use Spectrapure but started with one from Coral Reef and when I made the change, that's when I notice not all filters company are made the same. The RODI water quality you get can not be compared at all. Just check out their site or look at the YouTube videos and you will see what your getting from Spectrapure is top of the line in my book. I now have a 5 stage filtration system and I'm a satisfied customer. I'm sure there are other filter company that are good out there but just don't have the experience or recognition like the good old guys. #Spectrapure

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an interesting question.
I have never even considered using another brand.
I really have had no reason to have to.
I have always used Spectrapure.
I stock up at sale time.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What an interesting question.
I have never even considered using another brand.
I really have had no reason to have to.
I have always used Spectrapure.
I stock up at sale time.

LOL I need to get on the notification list for that one.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a question I've always wondered about. Do you need to flush new DI resin? If so, why and for how long?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Usually a couple bed volumes or say 1/2 gallon or so. Resin is shipped wet or damp in a solution so it does not lose its electrical properties as fast in shipping and storage. Your handheld TDS meter will tell you when it is rinsed up when it gets down to 0 TDS.

Last edited:

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. Usually a couple bed volumes or say 1/2 gallon or so. Resin is shipped wet or damp in a solution so it does not lose its electrical properties as fast in shipping and storage. Your handheld TDS meter will tell you when it is rinsed up when it gets down to 0 TDS.

Good to know. Thanks AZ!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back