if you could change just one thing ...

bioteacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping for years as a classroom teacher. our system sure has had its ups and downs. Somethings were our fault some things were simple serendipity. If I could change just one thing right now it would have been to have set our peninsula style 412 as a center over flow I believe it would have let us control the flow in the tank much better

if you could change just one thing on your system what would it be??

change%20one%20thing_zpsyeuhn8vs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I would have gotten a 75 Gallon instead of a 55
2. I would have never bought Pink Briareum because Half the Rock in that Tank is Covered in it and now I am worried my Tank will crash at sometime in the future do to so much Live Rock becoming Dead Rock since it is getting Covered in Pink Briareum (The Fastest Growing Coral Ever).

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will cause a tank crash. I have seen tanks with 90% coverage in gsp and it had no problems.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will cause a tank crash. I have seen tanks with 90% coverage in gsp and it had no problems.

Really?

I would loose so much beneficial bacteria that lives in the live rock that filters the water.

Or am I mistaken?

I just think that one day I will wake up and out of the blue there will be a huge Ammonia Spike that kills everything.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have used the CaribSea Life Rock, I would have gone with normal dry rock.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have passed on buying a skimmer. Biggest waste of money out there.

OP
OP
B

bioteacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, I think so many of us buy a skimmer or other piece without really getting everything figured out first.

OP
OP
B

bioteacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer isn't a waste its the wrong one that would be a waste otherwise my skimmer is a critical tool in our system

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer was a complete waste of money for me. It wasn't that I bought a piece of junk or one not fit for my system. It's because I don't need one. It has been in a sack in my closet for the last 4 months.

OP
OP
B

bioteacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's system is different: I know we would have a very difficult time keeping the bio load we have and sps corals both in great shape without our skimmer.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have set up my tank here, in Bora Bora.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is wrong with the CaribSea Live Rock?
So far it just does not seem to work as well as normal rock, the coating they put on it makes the rock less porous. It could be all in my head and I hope that I am just seeing things.

OP
OP
B

bioteacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be amazing Paul, I have been lucky enough to take students to Abaco the Bahamas twice. I love that Island and the chilled out easy going folks.

DurocShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I'd change anything. Over the years (too many years, including a stint doing aquarium maintenance for commercial tanks) I've made mistakes and poor choices. But each time I learn something. Even my current nano is causing me to learn and is always a work in progress. For example, I pulled the skimmer and haven't seen any trouble even though I feed heavily. My 70 will start out with a skimmer, but as I learn about that tank I may change it too.

I don't think that any tank should be a static display. Otherwise, take a photo and pin it on the wall.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be amazing Paul, I have been lucky enough to take students to Abaco the Bahamas twice.
I wish I was one of your lucky students. But if you dive in the Bahama's, then you dive in the South Pacific, you won't want to dive in the Bahama's or Caribbean any more. I am spoiled which is a shame because the South Pacific ain't cheap.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back