Identify Pest

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I am posting this to the correct area. Need help to identify this pest and if it is something that I should be concerned about.

Thanks
Randy

IMG_1167.jpg

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^-- +1 Pretty sure those are vermetid snails. They mostly are not a bad hitchiker, their webs they cast to catch food can irritate corals. Also because when moving rocks/corals/frags/equipment as they will set up shop almost anywhere and their shells can be VERY sharp and will puncture the skin.

OP
OP
hawkinsrgk

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vermetid snail

^-- +1 Pretty sure those are vermetid snails. They mostly are not a bad hitchiker, their webs they cast to catch food can irritate corals. Also because when moving rocks/corals/frags/equipment as they will set up shop almost anywhere and their shells can be VERY sharp and will puncture the skin.

Thanks guys. It doesn't look like there is a good way to remove them other than reduce feedings or maybe a copperband butterfly

I have never been able to keep a butterfly fish alive for over a couple of days. Had zero luck with them

Any ideas on how to get rid of them or should I not worry about it?

Thanks for the help
Randy

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. It doesn't look like there is a good way to remove them other than reduce feedings or maybe a copperband butterfly

I have never been able to keep a butterfly fish alive for over a couple of days. Had zero luck with them

Any ideas on how to get rid of them or should I not worry about it?

Thanks for the help
Randy

There is no way to eradicate them all. You can break off the shells and/or put glue over the hole in the shell.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back