Why buyer pays PayPal fee ???

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you are getting tired of sellers making the buyer pay for his,....PayPay fee's ! :mad2:
That's like asking a buyer to pay for for my,........ad in my local newspaper !

I see this a lot here and on other websites. Personally, I lost a sale here when I refused to buy a skimmer and pay for the fee.
He said, ......fine, others will pay for it !

Who agrees with me ?

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I wont buy stuff if someone wants me to pay for there fees that don't make sense I've never asked that of someone its not there responsibility

Last edited:

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pointless IMO. Either you agree to pay the fee or don't and move on. The sellers who aren't specifying that the buyer should pay it, are just building it into their price anyhow. So it's really a mute point.

Texasnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is what it is. For those who don't wanna pay don't for those who will, will... It's not much so it don't matter to me, I sell stuff on here and most buyer offer to pay or just throw it in on the sale price

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pointless IMO. Either you agree to pay the fee or don't and move on. The sellers who aren't specifying that the buyer should pay it, are just building it into their price anyhow. So it's really a mute point.
Yeah agreed. You're paying it regardless of whether or not it's officially stated.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if it's a gift you lost power of paypal to help get resolutions if seller doesn't ship or something like a different skimmer say then agreed upon. So it may get put into selling price but rather have protection from PayPal if something happens and get jerked around. There is someone who paid for light on here they never got after weeks of waiting and was gift so they can't dispute through PayPal and out the money that's not right at all. So I firmly believe seller pays fee but I'm glad to add the few dollars to price for protection. God bless.....Steve

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is the 2.9% is usually less than tax in most areas...
It is a cost of doing business, and in my main business I build this cost in...
When I'm selling frags or used personal equipment to a non-local, I ask they pay the fees...
(Locals I ask to pay as a gift, we have a tight local club)

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem Is If you pay as a gift you have no recourse with PayPal. Personally I will never pay fees on goods bought. If they do not have this accounted for in there selling fee I will look towards other vendors.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do if they ask to send as a gift is I calculate the fee, add it on, and send as a payment. That way they can shut up about the fee and I still get PayPal's backing.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gift vs standard sale topic simply doesn't coincide with the original post. It's off topic regardless if it's against the rules. Which it is of course.

buckeye82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my protection as a buyer and I won't buy without it. You sell on eBay you pay a fee. You sell on Amazon you pay a fee. You don't see sellers on there demanding an additional 10% to cover their fees. I just see it as risky if the seller asks for it and is actually hung up over paying 3% to sell an item and move on to the next sell/thread.

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A true good seller won't ask for any fees. Is not that complicated. Add 3% to the sale price and be done with it. I hope that with time the form also stops allowing sellers to ask for additional fees other than shipping!!

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are familiar with the guy who sold the bounce mushroom (same one) to multiple people and some unfortunately did gift you would understand why he posted this.
The gift vs standard sale topic simply doesn't coincide with the original post. It's off topic regardless if it's against the rules. Which it is of course.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone is selling something for a set amount they expect that amount. Some people just aren't as discrete as others. someone can sell something for 150 or 155 ultimately the buyer is paying the fee they just dont know it.

I was selling something a while back. The buyer asked for it cheaper, Told him fine pay as gift. He declined and paid what I was asking for. I shipped it FEDEX 2 day at no extra cost. Everyone was happy. The end...

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have on one occasion sent money partially as a gift... but that was when I was buying something that was almost 3,000 dollars. I paid roughly 2000 through a regular transaction, then the rest through gift to help the seller out. If I had not known the seller in person before, I would not have even done that. I have never paid a sellers fees for them though.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather have the seller include his fee's in the sale price, without me knowing. That way, I don't know that he's a jerk.

Asking for me to pay HIS,......FEE, is bad taste and business practice.
I could never,......ask anyone to pay my advertising cost.

If you're selling, expect to pay your own advertising cost, whether it's a car in your newspaper or skimmer here !

mmnich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently sold something on eBay for $2500. Cost me $250 in eBay fees and $70 for PayPal fees. That's 12.8%. Admittedly I had not read the details so that was quite a shock - and an expensive learning experience. I was expecting somewhere around 3 - 4%. I will not be making that mistake again.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back