Help w/ raising Calcium

wes1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the problem I have. I want to run my calcium between 425 and 450. Right now I am at 360. Known problems, regulator for ca reactor crapped out on me and new one should be here this week. I have been using ca reactor and topping off with kalk at 2 teaspoons per gallon of Ro every other day. PH lights on 8.2 lights off 7.9, DKh is 12, Mag is 1270, and strontium is 13 mg/l. This is a 56 gal aquarium with 65 lbs LR. SPS include ORA red planet, montipora digitata, pocillopora damicornis, platygra, red open brain, and yellow scroll I also have many baby nassarius snails that have hatched and are growing fast.

I know with the kalk top off and ca reactor I can maintain calcium and one will counter act the others affects on PH.

What can I do to increase calcium to the level I want to maintain? Can I increase ca with the two systems or do I need to dose calcium chloride.

I hope I have provided enough info if not I can add any info as needed.

Thanks in advance
Wes

cmjreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Add calcium chloride to your water change water until you test 450ppm. 2. Determine how much calcium chloride it takes to accomplish this. 3. Do this everytime you do a water change.

OP
OP
W

wes1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have to mix some up and test. i get it from my LFS he orders it in bulk, its a 12"x12"x12" block. this LFS only deals in saltwater reef and its what he uses. i have already ask about the make up of the salt and was told it was he only uses it in his SPS tanks. i will mix up and test.

Wes

Rouselb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see any issues with you keeping Ca around 360. Here is a great article on Ca, its above my head, but if you want some reading material. I would believe that the salt you are mixing with has a lower Ca range, and thats why you are there. Like mentioned above, you can always buffer the Ca up. Just make sure your not lowering it every time you do a water change.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2002/chem.htm

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back