Bryopsis Treatment Series- Skeptic No More

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have also been battling this nasty stuff. We are using Brightwell Aquatics Magnesium P+. We have had our Magnesium over 1500 for about 2 weeks and it's starting to die off. I just thought I would add this since I used a different product.

Awesome thread.

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Tech M. I'm 7 days into the 10 day treatment and it has vanished. Plus, I have seen no negative effects on my corals.

Last edited:

90sShooter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Tech M is next on the list. Funny you mention that you are getting green carpet like algae now. I finally won the battle against that algea several months ago with a sea hare and then this stuff popped up! I am trying Algaefix Marine right now as I have heard lots of people having luck with this. Although one side affect I have noticed when using this is my chalices (nothing else) seem to stop growing and maybe even receeding slightly. It has only affected my Bazooka Joe right now (haven't lost but not looking too hot) but I am keeping a CLOSE eye on it! I may stop and start Tech M soon!

Thanks!

curt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing ESV mag then switched to the tech M.For 5 days I've squirted it right into the patchs of bryopsis and 90% of it is gone.I think a few more days and I'll have it cleaned up.It hasn't effected any of the zoas (only thing I keep)in the tank.Thanks for the Help!This really does work.

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went throught he whole bryopsis issue, 2 gallons of tech M cured everything

OP
OP
BeakerBob

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BeakerBob,

With the increase Magnesium levels during the bryopsis treatment did you notice increase growth rates with your chalices? Just curious... What's your take on chalice bleaching? Great to know there is someone who has knowledge on keeping chalices before the craze... Thank you.

Carlos
Carlos,
I did not notice any growth issues (increase or decrease) with the chalices during treatment. Since these corals are typically slow growers compared to many other corals and the fact that the treatment with Tech-M was for a period of less than two months, I don't think I would have even noticed any difference in growth.

As for the chalice bleaching, there are way to many variables for a simple answer. The most common cause I have found for bleaching is that your Calcium and alkalinity are out of balance and continue to be out of balance for a period of time. Lighting is the next biggest issue, but that is topic for another thread.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I was one of the first to confirm the original beliefs that elevated magnesium would eliminate Bryopsis, or at least that certain magnesium supplements would. I did not use Kent and had success with Epsom salts/magnesium sulfate. I actually had a 10 gallon tank that I eliminated the Bryopsis from then did a complete water change and transfered Bryopsis into the tank, allowed it to grow and spread a bit and then bumped the magnesium again using Epsom salts and eliminated the Bryopsis again.

So, it drives me a little batty when people say only tech M works since it's been shown from the start that other forms of magnesium supplement will work.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have also been battling this nasty stuff. We are using Brightwell Aquatics Magnesium P+. We have had our Magnesium over 1500 for about 2 weeks and it's starting to die off. I just thought I would add this since I used a different product.

Awesome thread.

Whats the difference between this one and the liquid form brightwell provides?? I have been using the liquid and have had the Mag up around 1500 for a while and no help?

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to eradicate my byropsis with Epsom salts only. I raised my mag sky high, 2100, with little to no effect. Using Tech M and MB7 together, I eradicated the stuff at 1620. So, all I am saying is that with mine, Tech M was the ticket, and epsom salts was ineffective.

FWIW I was one of the first to confirm the original beliefs that elevated magnesium would eliminate Bryopsis, or at least that certain magnesium supplements would. I did not use Kent and had success with Epsom salts/magnesium sulfate. I actually had a 10 gallon tank that I eliminated the Bryopsis from then did a complete water change and transfered Bryopsis into the tank, allowed it to grow and spread a bit and then bumped the magnesium again using Epsom salts and eliminated the Bryopsis again.

So, it drives me a little batty when people say only tech M works since it's been shown from the start that other forms of magnesium supplement will work.

OP
OP
BeakerBob

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update to this thread....I quit dosing the magnesium about 7 months ago (I ran out of the Tech M). To date, the bryopsis has not reappeared and I have no problems with any other nuisance algae. My chaeto has been growing like crazy and all my livestock is well. I still maintain a small cleanup crew consisting of hermit crabs and two large turbo snails.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im glad you brought this thread up, well because i have a slight touch of this stuff.
i used hydrogen peroxide directly on the areas. it works!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back